1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new eden neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WINGS012345, Nov 10, 2010.

1. WINGS012345

WINGS012345

Dec 7, 2009
    Hey everyone, question for someone in the know. I'm a lefty bass player so alot of times I have to buy stuff off ebay. Building a backup bass. Got a fender Squier body loaded off of ebay. I will probably replace the pickups and wiring. I bought a Eden neck off of Ebay. Not very pricey. Figured I would give it a shot. The neck arrived. Looks great to my eyes. Very nice in fact. It fit in the bass pocket nice and snug. After drilling holes and screwing on the back plate. I strung it up and the strings are flat against the fret board. rasing the bridge does nothing. Even turned the truss rod a bit but it had no affect. Is this a bad neck? it looks like a neck I had on my 57 re-issue bass. same feel too.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Pics would help. Could be a truss rod issue, an adjustment issue, a neck that is "too tall for the pocket" issue, etc...can't tell without proper pictures.

:)

3. yeah, get as many detailed pics up as possible

4. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    I'm also interested in hearing how this goes. I've always wanted to try the Eden necks but was skeptical due to the 21 frets. Most "standard" Squire/Fender necks have 20 frets. I would measure the distance from the Nut to the string saddles before you spend too much time worrying about the neck pocket depth. If it is a neck pocket issue, you can pay a competant luthier to rout the pocket depth a little deeper or do it yourself if you have the tools and the ability.

5. WINGS012345

WINGS012345

Dec 7, 2009
    I took it to a local luthier. Its exactly what you said syco. The neck is a little too long for the squier. He measured as you suggested. He is going to raise the bridge a little and also move it forward about a half inch. I'm going to replace the standard bridge with a badass II. This will hide the holes from the original bridge as it is a longer bridge. The neck is 22 frets. I have to tell you I love this neck. He looked at it and said everything was fine with it. It has the feel of the 57 RI had. I think they called it a C radius. Has the vintage tint as well that looks sweet. For $30 plus shipping this is a steal. Now I have yet to truley play it. Waiting for the work to be done. Had I known that was what it needed, I could have done the work myself. It did fit in the bass pocket snuggly so that was an issue. I paid a $100 for the bass body loaded off of ebay. Looks like a Hong Kong body. Neck was $30 and Tuners $50. Replacement pots from hoagland brothers was $40. I'm going to replace the pickups figuring around $150. I'm left handed, so it's hard for me to find basses I like unless I pay allot. I already have a Japan jazz and a german Hofner. i think this is going to be a very fine one when I'm done. P+J combo. And rather cheap. With a cool look and Vintage style neck. Time will tell.

6. WINGS012345

WINGS012345

Dec 7, 2009
    I meant neck fit into the pocket snug and WASNT an issue :)

7. WINGS012345

WINGS012345

Dec 7, 2009
    And it is 21 frets!!

8. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I've never gotten an Eden neck, but I ordered one of their p-bass bodies for the hell of it. It was decent, especially if you're going to paint it or lacquer it (it's a couple of pieces of wood, and the grain didn't line up real well). The routing was good and the neck pocket fit the Allparts neck I had for it.