My New G&L LB-100!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobby King, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey folks!

I have played many a P-Bass in my day but this one is outstanding! I don't usually get excited and post about my new basses, but this G&L LB-100 is inspiring.

It's really just a basic P, but everything about it is great. The Pleked fingerboard plays perfectly in all ranges, you can really dig in without any buzzing. It has a 1 5/8 nut width and is slightly chunky front to back in way that I really like. Comfortable yet substantial. This one is Vintage White with a Mint pickgaurd. The pickup is slightly hotter than a Fender P, but not obnoxiously so. The taper of the pots is smooth, great bridge...sounds full, punchy and even. It sounded great with the stock roundwounds but I'm loving it with Fender Flats.

It came with a nice G&G case and all the paperwork, and I paid around $1050 for it. I have to say that I think these are a great value compared to present day Fenders (although many of them are excellent too). If you're in the market for a P, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at one of these!

IMG_0676_zpsb07129a8.gif
    IMG_0677_zpsff9ee59e.gif

2. BillyRay

BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Mint guard on white is sexy. Can this model be ordered with a 1 3/4 nut and 7.25" radius ?

3. urbanpail

urbanpail

Sep 24, 2011
    That thing is the boobies. I want one. Holding out for a used one, but i might be swayed to a new one, after seeing yours. Congrats!

4. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Oh man. My dream P bass right there. Exactly the specs I would choose. The Brian Wilson Edition. Hmmm...the G&L factory is not far from here. Might have to wangle a tour.

Bobby, is this your standard 8.5 pounds or so?

Congrats!!!

:bassist:

5. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks! I don't know what other neck options are available. This has a 12" radius, but it doesn't feel real flat or anything.

6. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It's a little heavy at 9.4 lbs, but not too bad.

7. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007
    Man I LOVE G&L
    I have an 84 L-1000 given to me by George Fullerton and an LB-100 that i bought here off a fellow TB'r a year or 2 ago and they simply are my go-to axes when it really matters!
    G&L really makes fantastic stuff!
    SWEET BASS MAN!!

8. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Feb 22, 2011
    I have a white/mint pick guard/ rosewood finger board LB-100 on order. Can't wait!

9. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Mint on white is pure class. G&L is a hot-rod bass from the factory: better bridge, better pickup, better tuners, and you get to choose from different neck profile and neck finish options.

10. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have always loved the feel and quality of G&Ls, but I was never crazy about the pickups/ electronics on the L-2000. The ones with Fender-style pickups like this and the various JB basses are the ones that I like. They are all built very well.

11. Glad you like it! I love mine. I think these LB-100's are going to be a big hit!

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Beauty. Love it a long time!

13. That's cool! :bassist:

14. I bet if you spent a few days with an L-2000 you'd really like it. I sure did once I figured out how everything works with all the different tone options.

15. I love the white/mint combo! Looks great!

16. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    Sweeeet. Really want one of these!

17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    that's a sweet looking G&L.

the #5 neck option is close to that. 1-3/4" nut with a 7.5" radius

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Beautiful bass! I'm about to place an order for one probably next week and I'm considering vintage white/tort and possibly a blank board.

$1050 is a great deal as well, but I'm assuming at that price it doesn't have the quartersawn neck?

How are you liking that pickup with flats? I'm guessing that you get more range out of them due to them being a little hotter?

19. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    A 90's era G&L LB-100 was my main gigging bass from 2001 until I sold it earlier this year during a moment of pure stupidity. I still regret selling it to this day. It had the most comfortable neck I have ever played.

Congratulations on your new bass! It's a beauty!

-Duff2

20. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Nice! I've got a vintage white, cream guard, ebony fretless lb100 on order..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021