My next Sadowsky: wait relief thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, May 18, 2007.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The PJ bug bit me :( so I placed an order for a Sadowsky NYC PJ4. :D .

SPECS:
    - Sadowsky NYC Vintage PJ 4
    - vintage tint finish solid swamp ash J body.
    - vintage tint 20 fret maple/maple neck.
    - BWB pickguard.
    - Chrome hardware.
    - standard black knobs.
    - Sadowsky PJ humcancelling pickups.
    - Sadowsky preamp with VTC.
    - Nickel 45-105 strings.
    - Sadowsky Portabag case.
    - BWB J pickguard, pickup and rout for JJ conversion.

Basically a twin sibling to my Vintage J with single coils that is a little lonely after I left his twin JJ brother with HCs go (I applied to join a nice music school to study upright so the brother was sacrified to finance the upright and part of the new PJ).

I will post a photo of the raw body once I get some photos of available bodies from Kevin.

The new bass should be with me sometime between my 35th birthday and Christmas.

Those of you PJ players don't hesitate to write about the excellences of Sadowsky PJs to make my GAS worse :D

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Here is the lonely J. He's very happy with the new addition to the family :smug:

[​IMG]

3. The Sadowsky PJs are indeed fun. A little grind on the solo'd P pup and wow! Here's mine along side my Sadowsky J:

SadowskyspaltmaplePJ4BrazRW.jpg
    PJandJtopside.jpg
    frontSadpjandJcouch.jpg

4. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    My NYC PJ4 is a Alder/Morado/12" radius/Chambered/Inca Silver/VTC and is one beautiful sweet bass.

5. I've played Sadowsky's new Metro PJ basses and was really, really impressed. For one thing, it actually captures the sounds of both P and J remarkably well (no exaggeration either).

Your specs sound really great, Frandiaz. I really do prefer the J style body over the P.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Had two, sold one, thinking of specs I want on the next one.:bag:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Since you already have a couple of JJ's why bother with the JJ conversion on this bass?

8. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    Nice! If I were ordering a Sadowsky PJ, I'd be tempted to go for the same wood and finish combinations. My favorite Precision Bass sound is passive Sadowsky P with about 50% J blended in.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Nino, I just sold one of my JJs (the one with HCs) to finance a double bass and the deposit for this one. My plans are to keep my Sadowsky J with SCs, the PJ that I have on order, my old StingRay that I rarely play but I'll never sell, the double bass that I'm going to buy soon and a certain custom bass by a young luthier that I have plans to order as soon as the PJ arrives (did you check your email after lunch? ;) ).

These are my plans, but if I need to buy a better upright in 2-3 years I might sell another Sadowsky and then I'd keep the PJ with JJ option.For me it's cheaper o have it done when it's built than sending it back to the shop if I ever want to have the conversion done.

By the way, I know that you love a nice piece of ash as much as I do, take a look around to see if you find one at the shop ;)

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet bass - I'm just over two months into the wait for my first Sad. I'll likely drop my order for a second once my first one ships and it'll be a PJ5. I agree with Nino - I would prefer a universal P routing vs a PJ-JJ conversion.

But to each their own! :bassist:

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Roger told me that they build all their 4 string PJs with the standard P and I like the way the D & G strings sing that way.

I hope I never have to sell my vintage J, but uprights are very expensive. I'm buying an student model but if I ever need a better upright it can be a major investment and that would mean that I had to sell something else, and my Sadowskys are the most expensive instruments that I own. I love the JJ config as much as the PJ (my fist bass was a Jazz Bas Special, made in Japan, PJ config, a great bass for the price) so if I have to keep only one Sadowsky I want to be able to go from PJ to JJ and viceversa.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Hang in there, Fran. LOL. It will be amazing when it arrives

Rob

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'll do Rob, :p I'm sure it'll be amazing as every Sadowsky I've owned or played it's just that I've been watching way too much Michael Rhodes playing his PJ ...:bassist: He's a monster player, his tone is ...well, you know LOL and he's got a great stage presence too.

BY the way, I'm waiting for a new thread with your new hybrid PJ. I'm sure it'll be a rockin' beast :bassist: . What combo did you get?

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Thanx, Fran. Waiting for the pics from Roger before I start a thread about it

Its ash/maple, 3 color burst, mint guard, PJ, 8.5lbs!!!

Rob

15. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Jim, NICE PJ you got there!! I'm normally not too big on fancy tops but something about that one just looks "right".

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Just started a thread on my hybrid, Fran. Check it out in the basses section

Rob

17. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    +1, I have a photo of that top before it was finished. Incredible piece.

Nice combo

next stop :)

18. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting on the 4 string PJ - I didn't know they only did the standard P...

19. :)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021