Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY SADOWSKY DILEMA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Oct 1, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    After finally getting my hands on a Sadowsky to try I'm gassing so bad I can't stand it. I want one, an MV5 natural ash, maple board like the one at LowDown sound in Detroit. My dilema is I can't afford to buy one outright and the basses are in such demand that most dealers won't consider a trade. I have a beautiful Ken Smith BSR5MW that is awesome and a Zon Sonus Custom 5 that is equally awesome and if I find a dealer willing to deal on a Metro I'm not sure which bass I'd miss more??? I'm thinking I'd let the Zon go with some cash or with my KSD V5 for a Metro. I honestly think I wouldn't put the Metro down because it really can do everything I need a bass to do. What to do?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I just joined the world of Sadowsky.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145688

I tried this Metro early in September at www.clubbass.ca and I have been thinking about it ever since. It sounds like you have great basses already. I have never played a Zon or KSD. I have a few good basses as well but I sold my '88 Kubicki Ex Factor to fund the Sadowsky GAS and may well sell my Marcus Miller 5 to do the same. I have to say that you can't go wrong with a Sadowsky. I had the bass out at our local blues jam with half of my rig. I usually get compliments on my sound with the MM5 but the same guys who liked the MM5 were even more impressed with the Sadowsky.

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the heads up. That's a possibility I really have not considered but will. As far as the decision on which one I can't part with my Smith. Anyone interested in my Zon?

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Go for it! I have 2 NYC Sad's and one metro. Outstanding. Sell your basses outright. Don't trade them. You'll do better that way. There is a classified section on this site and you can also try bassgear.com or ebay

Rob

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Sonny Cobb is selling on on bassgear.com

6. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Brother, sell your basses and get the Metro. I've had mine for about about a month now and love it!!! My drummer runs sound for a living and says it's the best bass tone he's ever heard and he's done a ton of national acts. My RV5 is a little on the heavier side than my Modulus she replaced but the trade off on tone is well worth it. Trying to think of how I'm gonna swing my next one (fretless). Thinking about getting a huge insurance policy on the wife....hmmmmm.....

Let us know when you join the family!

Kev

7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Closed on it today. Will probably have it early next week. I'm really excited. It's the J bass I've always wanted. Natural finish, no pick guard, no hardware under the controls. It's been a long time coming!! M191 on the Sadowsky site. Let you all know when it comes and how it plays. Many thanks to Adrian for the heads up.

8. Welcome to the fold.

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You will be very happy. I can guarantee it. Sounds like yours is similar to mine. (See link earlier in this thread). Mine is super light at 8.5 pounds. Tone, tone, tone!! I look forward to more Sadowskys in my future. A fretless NYC would be very cool.

Steve

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    good deal, bro- i have done business with Sonny a couple of times, he's a standup guy.. enjoy the bass! and you're very welcome- peace, A

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I like it! :cool:

[​IMG]

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tomorrow's the day. I have a full weekend of playing to do and I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can for the man in brown. I'm pretty excited.

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Been there... ;)

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's a nice lookin bass JR.

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey JR, how do you like your Sadowsky? Didn't you have an F bass for a while and got rid of it? Wondering how the Sadowsky compares? How is the B String compared to the F?

I am LOVING my F Bass, and I am thinking about flipping my Modulus Q5 for a different alternative back up bass that has more of a Jazz vibe. A Sadowsky Metro Vintage5 might be just the ticket. - Gary

16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Look close, I think his Sadowsky has an 'Air B' ;)

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Woops. That is a four banger isn't it? My bad as they say. I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

My Sadowsky registers a solid 98% on my satisfaction meter. And until Roger offers block inlays and binding on the NYC models [2%], it's a keeper.

The F-Bass was VERY nice-tone for days. I sold it beacause
    I needed a hotter output for my application. Everything else was almost perfect!

Go for the Sadowsky Metro. Problem is, your F-Bass may become the backup instrument.

JB

19. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    JR,

If you ever think about selling that Sadowsky please let me know. I'm really interested in that particular bass, my favorite Sad combo.

By the way, I've got a bunch of your photos in my hard disk, you're a great photographer...which equipment and settings do you use?

keep groooovin'
    Fran

20. This might be somewhat off topic, but here goes...

I got my NYC Sadowsky last Friday and I love it, but I'm still trying to get used to the "reversed" pan knob. Does anyone know why the preamp is wired this way? It's the opposite of every other bass I've ever played and find myself turning it counter-clockwise for the bridge pickup and getting the neck pickup.