1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My strings and pole pieces don't line up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    So, I put an Artec Alnico MM in my modofied OLP and the pole pieces don't line up 100% in the middle except for the G string. Do you think it impacts the sound? It does not seem to. But it does bother me visually. I know, I'm being anal. :D

Comments, thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Strings rarely line up properly over pole pieces. That's perfectly normal, and has no effect on the sound.

Frenchy-Lefty and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It's usually because the neck is a bit tilted.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

You can probably find the same pickup with a solid cover.

Coolhandjjl and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I've tried to reset the neck and nothing. Its pretty much butted up against the neck pocket. I would entertain the idea of a solid cover pickup but I don't want to break the bank.

How are the EMG-MMHZ or Kent Armstrong (Korean) pickups? I would want something i can wire to a series/parallel switch. I'm running this with a 2 band Stingray clone preamp.

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Had the same problem with a kit build from Saga... more than likely my neck wasn't 'square' before they drilled... didn't feel like putting time into that, so I chose the upgrade path instead, and installed a HipShot Kickass bridge... string spacing totally adjustable...

... probably just aesthetics, but I understand where you are coming from.

Check the height of your current bridge saddles and compare with the new one if you choose to go this route... that way no surprises!

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Resetting the neck in its pocket is a pretty straightforward and surprisingly quick job for a luthier/tech. But before you do this you also need to check the string alignment along the neck edges. If the G is much closer to the edge than the E, then clearly the neck needs resetting. If the strings are aligned with the neck, then something else needs to move. Moving the bridge on a MM is a PITA, and is best avoided if possible. Moving the pickguard and pickup is also an option...

But as others have said, it's more an asthetic thing. In fact, the G string output is notoriously problematic with MMs and you may well be better off with the G directly over the polepiece and the E slightly off-centre.

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    First world problem.

Frenchy-Lefty and Robroy like this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You have the bass. We don't. You're the only one who can answer that question.

The solution to this non-problem is to spend at least double the time playing the bass as you do looking at it.

line6man and ctmullins like this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Close your eyes. Play the bass. Does it sound good, with even response from string to string? If so, we're done here, problem solved.

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My '94 Stingray is like that, but lines up on the E...you're fine...
    DSC_0594.

12. Especially considering the strength of those single pole magnets it makes zero difference in the sound. Don't sweat, it is fine.