1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My strings die out so quickly. Help!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the JT, Aug 25, 2007.

1. I have had this problem with every set i buy. After about a week of playing, my stings have lost their punch, sustain and clarity and play badly. I use DR lo riders, or d'addario XLs (when the music shop has them). I am a teenager with limited funds so i cant justify forking out 80 bucks (AUD) for a set that lasts about a week.
    I have tried lots of things, like string cleaner liquid, boiling my strings and i wash my hands before i play, but nothing seems to work! HELP ME !

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some people's sweat composition causes strings to die out. Maybe your body's pH is off. Or maybe you play a whole lot and just wear them out. Strings wear out.

The good news, though, is there are a lot of people who played bass and couldn't afford strings on a regular basis and did just fine until they could, me included.

3. Maybe you should use one set set of strings only for gigs, and older strings at home? I think that is a good way :)

4. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    Yeah, and you can also EQ the bass and your amp to get more the quality you want out of the strings when they are worn out. Ofcourse, it doesn't sound as good as a new set of strings would, but it's a way to compensate. :)

5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Have you tried coated strings, like Elixirs?

How about moving to flats?

6. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I play d'addarios exclusively now for about 4yrs, and I never hd problems with them to be honest, but I also have noticed that Elixirs have an awesome longevity to them for an ok price if that's what you're looking for!
    I change my strings before every show (unless I'm playing two nights in a row), cause i LOVE the sound of a new string!but it all depends on your tastes!
    I know a lot of my friends go with the warwick strings cause they're pretty cheap and have an ok longevity, but I just find them so crappy that I'll rather go the extra buck for the d'addario!:D

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Thats what I was gonna say...

8. Howdy,

Noticed that have used DR Lo-Riders and XLs. Here's an important question: Are you using nickel or stainless steel strings? I suspect it's nickel.

I too discovered (the hard way) that I can't use nickel strings, unless I want to change strings every three weeks or so. I switched to all-stainless steel strings exclusively (try the DRs and Rotosounds) and have been saving on strings ever since.

Hope this helps.

Batman

PS: Oh, and wipe down your strings after use (underneath too) and wash your hands before playing.

9. For awhile now I've made sure to wipe my strings down with a cloth every everytime I pick up the bass. It seems to help a lot. I've been getting about 3-4 months of acceptable tone out of my DR Hi-Beams.

10. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    JT- that sounds like you're killen em in short order. i'd like to know A: what kind of music you play?
    B: have you ever tried FLATS?

please post answers...........duc

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi JT,

you can generally get a twin pack of 4 string Daddario XLs for around 55 AU dollars. i'm not sure of a 5 string price. I have the same problem as you. after a week of gigs and practice my strings are dead, i haven't found much i can do about it...

12. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Well, I find that unless I have a bunch of performances coming up, I can live with having strings that aren't as bright as I'd like them to be, since it's just me playing solo, or just having fun jamming with people.

Basically, I'm just saying that if you can't afford the new strings so often, just deal with it until you have an important performance.

That's kinda a harsh way to put it, but I mean it in a nice way.

13. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've always had that problem with D'Addarios. I've tried them 4-5 times and they always go dead very quickly. I use SITs now and they're cheaper and stay newer longer than anything that I've tried.

Whatever string you get, make sure you get Stainless, they'll stay newer longer.

14. Try rotosound swingbass.

They're so bright like... when they're very, very, very, very dead they're still insanely bright :p

I bought some nickle strings and the E string went really dead really fast. What did I do? Put my old Rotosound E string on. The dead E string still sounds pretty bright, and the E, A and D of the nickle strings sound really nice. Shame this won't last forever, as I'm gonna run out of half dead rotosound E-strings pretty soon :p

15. i'd say try rotosound swingbass steel, make sure its steel.

they last for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

one great thing about them is cause your used to them being freakishly bright when you put them on, even when you think they're dead, other people think they're new :D

seriously, try them out, also they're not that expensive either.

16. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    same here...if I wipe my strings they last longer.

but if you want a more bright sounding strings maybe you should use Stainless steel or coated strings.

also i Recommend you start buying strings online, if you don't have a high tax on Importing them it makes changing strings cheaper.

17. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    +1. I hate to say it but the local guys are just not coming to the party when it comes to string prices in Australia. I would only put on a fresh set of strings before a gig. There is nothing wrong with practicing with dead strings. I alos found cleaning strings with metho works realy well, especially for stainless steel strings.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, stores blow for strings. I tried to get a set of flatwounds recently, and I went to 5 stores and couldn't find anything but one set of Chromes. But these internet string places carry everything at decent prices.

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    www.caig.com
    deoxit string wipes. i used to kill strings within one gig. recently i played 6 on the same ones with the help of the axe wipes.

20. search this forum for Denatured Alcohol. I'm one of those ph freeks I guess, as a set of strings only lasts 1 gig or about a week of practice plus a rehersal.

Roatating a few sets of strings (I have 4 sets going) in denatured alcohol has saved my life and my wallet. It's like having a new set of strings at your disposal at any time.