1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - Bassman 500 + Rumble 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbirdsp, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Ah, that new amp smell :hyper: Will post impressions once I play through it more.

FenderBox_zpsyyr9xrek.

500Rumble_zpsm0py1nzy.

qwench, gsgbass, AModestRat and 13 others like this.
  2. kwaping

kwaping

Jul 28, 2012
    Cupertino, CA
    Drooool!

Joedog likes this.
  3. Looking forward to hearing your views on the 500 especially but also the Rumble 115.
    Congrats!

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Replaced the plastic logo on the Rumble with a cast aluminum "Blackface" one to match the Bassman head. Any apparent difference in the logos is due to the light hitting them differently. Match perfectly in real life. The grill cloth is a slightly different shade between the two units, barely noticeable though.

Haven't had much chance to play though the rig yet. Initial impressions: More vintage "rounder" sound than my GK MB Fusion 500 (as expected, and desired). Doesn't sound quite as good as the 100T I sold to get this setup, but almost as good. Need to try the Bassman 500 head with some of my other cabs (Genz Benz Focus 115 X 2, Avatar B212 Neo)

RumbleLogo_zpsdztlppjw.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Yahboy, punchclock and rodl2005 like this.
  5. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I'd be interested to see how the Bassman 500 sounds through 2 Focus 115's. I've been looking at the Rumble 500 head and Bassman 500 to go with my Focus 115's. Let us know once you get some time to try it out.

6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Will do. My "music room" is our smallest spare bedroom and it's packed with gear, so swapping cabs out is a royal pain. Need to test all configurations out though:D

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that looks GREAT!!!!!

super rig, I'd wager.

punchclock likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Smashing! :woot:

9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Tried the 500 with my two Focus 115s today - sounds really good! Head is the same width so it fits well. Note I'm in a tiny room where I can't get more than 3 feet away from the rig, and any serious volume gets the drywall rattling. I didn't try using only one Focus, but I think they sound slightly better than the Rumble - probably because the box is deeper. Nothing major though. I also ran the DI out to my Shure PSM200/ Westone UM Pro 30 IEM system. Got a good sound there too. I used "post EQ" (as I do on my MB Fusion 500). With the DI level set about in the middle (between 6 and 7) I seemed to get about the same signal strength I get from the non-adjustable DI on the GK. I think I'll use the two Genz cabs this Friday - gig at a rock club with a big stage/big PA and I usually don't use IEM.
    Other notes - if you use the vintage channel you should know how a "Fender tone stack" works - I'm running it at 3-10-3 (bass mid treble) which is probably still a slight mid scoop (I like lots of mids). Fender MIM Active Deluxe Jazz V with the controls centered.
    Cooling fan seems to run all the time. It's not too loud, and more of a "whoosh" of air sound than the "propeller" sound of the one on my GK.
    I'm not a tweeter guy so I have the tweeters off in both the Rumble and the Genz cabs.

500FocusX2_zpsaozmoslg.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  10. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one swapping out logos to match the rest of my Fender gear.
    From left: Rumble 500 combo, 210 ext cab, 115 ext cab. My ancient GK 400RB and my more ancient 1968 Dual Showman purchased new. Yeah, I'm old. :) image.

tbirdsp and Linnin like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Most Groovy, Bobb-O!

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yeah, I'm old too (also originally from Chicago myself)
    I swapped a Fender logo on to an LDS 2x15 so it would match my Fender Studio Bass head. No shame in trying to make them look like they were built for each other. In the case of the LDS cab, it WAS built specifically with the Fender head in mind.
    Studio Bass and LDS2x15.

aaronious and Thundar like this.
  13. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    You swapped logos?!?! So, that cab could be....a Squier?

EVerderame and Larry McQueary like this.
  14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    umm, I don't think Squier/Fender makes cabs (?) ... only instruments ;)

Linnin likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Pay no attention to the uninformed.

16. Rest easy... the less literal-minded got your joke ;)

yakmastermax likes this.
  17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    But they are so much fun to play with. So...predictable.

18. Craig Phillips

Craig Phillips Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Sacramento, Calif.
    Where did you guys get the cast Fender logo's?

19. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Logos are everywhere. What I don't understand is why the bassman 115 cab is more than DOUBLE the cost of a rumble 115 cab. Yeah, the bassman cab is neo, but the rumble cab is lighter weight, slimmer depth and both sound pretty much like a bass to anyone who pays attention.

So, if I'm a patron? I don't know the difference. If I'm the bass player? Load in/out is a huge consideration.

Badge = vanity? Say it isn't so.

Now, that bassman 500 amp? Do the tubes make a difference, or are they a marketing gimmick like the rest.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  20. Yeah, I have to say, that is a bit hard to swallow. The 410 price/weight difference I can kind of see, but the 115 is just crazy. I guess those neodymium magnets must have a pretty high price floor. And they must be using some very lightweight wood on the Rumble 115. Or maybe the casters are really heavy? :)

That's what I'm wondering as well. Is there $1000 worth of tone difference between this hybrid amp and the SB300?