1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD! Lab Series L4 w/original 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Haans, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I can hardly believe my luck. Found this advertised a few days ago, but on the other side of the country. Seller wouldn't ship, which is quite understandable, given the size of this monster. I sulked for a bit, until I remembered Nimber.com. Posted a request, and within minutes I had an offer to have the amp transported door to door for a small fee. Total (including door-to-door-delivery): $275

stack.

Looks like it's in great condition, mostly used at home. I can't wait to try it out, but it won't be here until tuesday or wednesday. There's precious little information to be found on these, although general consensus seems to be they're awesome, even at three times the price I got. I'd love a service manual if anyone has one. It may be worth replacing the speakers, given their age. Not sure they were that great to begin with, but I'll give them a test run.

Sorry for the premature post - will update once tested. In the meantime, you may share your love/hate/fond memories as you please.

Attached Files:

• head.
      head.jpg
      File size:
      162.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Looks awesome. Never heard of these. Definitely post up some more pictures when the beast arrives and tell us how it sounds!

Haans likes this.
  3. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    As far as I can tell, they were made by Moog Music for Norlin and distributed (rather poorly) by Gibson. Made by Dan Pearce, founder of Pearce Amplifiers (after the Lab Series were discontinued).

Sartori likes this.
  4. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    It's here. It's huge. Makes my Aguilar look like a midget. Just took it for a quick spin, and I need to clean the pots. Sounds quite nice, though!

IMG_20160218_195502.

alack, funkytoe and Korladis like this.
  5. Very nice.

Haans likes this.
  6. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I've cleaned all pots and switches and the molex connectors inside. I'll test it on monday. There's a huge fan on the side that was disconnected. When I connected it, I found out why. The thing sounds like a microwave oven. Took it out and cleaned it and it got better, but still too loud. I'll have to replace it. The fan is called Cyclohm, and I see why. It moves air like a hairdryer! Seems like overkill to me.

Any suggestions for a 115 volt AC fan that's quiet? And 15" speakers? I think the original speakers are quite mediocre, and they're 40 years old.

Sartori likes this.
  7. If you tell us the volume of the cab and if it's sealed or ported
    you might get some decent speaker suggestions.

Haans likes this.
  8. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I'll measure it on monday and also see if I can find out what speakers are in it. Most likely around 200 litres. And it's ported.

Sartori likes this.
  9. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    Any more news? What type of speakers were in there?

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    don’t care so much about the dinosaur bass rig, but nimber.com sounds interesting! so they will go and get things that are “pick up only” and ship them anyway?

11. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I played an identical rig as a house amp in a local club many times. It’s a great sounding rig with the 2x15 cab. I liked it so much, I tried to buy it. No sale. The owner knew what he had and would not part with it. Congrats!

12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    The LabSeries 1x15 was my main cab for years, under a MusicMan HD150. Solid, well built cab.

13. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    There's a Lab Series club here on Talkbass that Im a member of. I have schematics of the L4 posted there.

Haans likes this.
  14. bassdopp

bassdopp Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I just bought the L11 head this weekend and I'm looking for the 215, L4 to go with it. The two heads are basically the same except mine has reverb. My buddy in RI s
    ays he knows a guy that has one and will check with him to see if he wants to sell. If anyone has a lead on a L4 cabinet somewhere in New England give me a shout. John Lab Series L II.

15. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a LS 215 cab down here in ATL. I think it’d be easier for you to just ship me your head! Lol

16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

I have an L10.

This was made for guitar. Cabinet us 4x10" open back.

Actually a nice durable amp, had it for about 30 years.

More amazed Gibson had anything to do with it. Even more amazed they stopped making them.

The compressor and LED light combo is useful.

17. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I got rid of the L4 and cab when I had to make room for my Verellen/Barefaced rig. It sounded nice, but wasn't that well suited for the fairly heavy rock we play. I replaced the noisy fan with a very quiet computer fan that still moved quite a bit of air. There's a power outlet inside that the fan was plugged into, so I just plugged in a small AC-adaptor to deliver the required 12V to the new fan, and that worked well. I passed it on to another LAB-head for a small profit (not much, considering I spent quite a few hours cleaning and examining the old thing).

18. bassdopp

bassdopp Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks Dave. If I don't find a cabinet I might just do that !! LOL