1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD! Little Stubby PROTOTYPE - all tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dynacord, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Picked this up recently, pre-corona... and it arrived last week. Ashdown CTM-30 Little Stubby prototype. This is the same unit in this review and I bought it from Tyler (who was great to deal with)

This was the amp that Ashdown used at the various trade shows, etc and differs somewhat from the production models (mainly no graphics on the back and it does not have the surrounding pinstripe on the faceplate). Most notable is that it was shop-made in the UK rather than being a Chinese made assembly line version.

IMG_7464.jpeg

Like many of us, I have some extra time on my hands - like it or not - have been on lockdown here since Saturday. The outer case was black though had some nicks and scratches from having traveled with Ashdown and that Tyler had been using it as a gigging amp (certainly not abused in any way). Considered painting the case and... had a can of Hammerite in the basement that was close in color to my beloved Inverness Green '64 T-bird. Project time!

IMG_7508.jpeg

Pleased with the result even if it now qualifies as a 'refin'. I also like that the hammered finish better emphasizes the mid-century type of look along with the VU meter, etc.
    I think it nicely mimics some of the vintage studio gear.

IMG_7514.jpeg

It clearly shares - even if unwittingly - the form factor and similar weight (and even the side handle) with a 1964 Dynacord Bass-King I have here and previously posted:
    NAD! (vintage all tube content) 1964 Dynacord Bass-King

IMG_7485.jpeg

Anyway, I'm happy with it - very nice and flixible range of tones and goes way louder than I can reasonably get away with in my flat considering all the neighbors are also home. Will clearly be a long time before I can try it in a band situation... (had two tours booked in April - May and was looking forward to trying it on some of those but that will have to wait - as we can all relate to...)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Nice. I've been very curious about this Ashdown amp.

davidprice likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Awesome David! Love Ashdown kit - I have a 550 Spyder that is my live head for my '76 Portaflex B-15 cab. Love your Hammerite finish - very industrial look! Rock it! (eventually!) :bassist:

Chucky Stiletti and davidprice like this.
  4. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks so much, JIO! Always appreciate your aesthetic sense!

Was also nice that my son came in and stopped "woah, that looks cool" :)

Chucky Stiletti and JIO like this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Did you install the leather strap w/hex-head machine bolts? Perfect.

davidprice likes this.
  6. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    No, that's 'stock'. Really nicely made and VERY thick. The whole unit has a nice hand-made vibe to it.
    There were also some rubber feet for the opposite side. I'll put those back on once it's more fully cured.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    JIO likes this.
  7. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    The only mods I did was the paint on the outer case and I labeled the jacks on the back (1/4" DI, 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker connects).

JIO likes this.
  8. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    That is super nice. Great job! That T-Bird Green looks fantastic.

davidprice likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I re-badged my Spyder with a vintage Heathkit badge I found on eBay in tribute to my 1st bass amp, a ss Heathkit combo (w/2 15"'s!) my dad & I assembled in '66. Best sound/tone ever. (next to the Flip-Top all tube head) :)
    8D0EDD97-96A1-4805-8CF4-DC315AEC84C6_1_201_a.jpeg

10. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks so much! On both.

That looks terrific!

Chucky Stiletti, Rooster009 and JIO like this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    And walks the walk! :bassist:

Chucky Stiletti and davidprice like this.
  12. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    A couple gut shots:

IMG_7474.jpeg
    IMG_7477.jpeg

13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    nice.
    what does the Feedback control do ? does it change the linearity of the circuit ? how does it change the sound/tone of the amp?

curious minds want to know :)

14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I wondered how they fit all those tubes in there - great engineering/design. And their fans work great - very quiet, mine (which is bigger) has 2.

15. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    "changes the slope of the low frequencies in the bass section"

16. Will be similar to the 'resonance' control on my Traynor YBA200, which works as a sort of 'bloom' control -- going from tighter modern style to old school pillowy.

17. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Tried one at Namm at MG’s request...seriously impressed. Happy to see Ashdown going in this direction.

JIO and davidprice like this.
  18. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Makes it sound biglier :) @fasterpussycat describes it very well. Really fattens it up when pushed. Dialed back it sounds more modern. Can get very thick in combination with the bass control - even though the EQ is all passive so not super extreme.
    Ashdown's PR blurb is "the heart of this amp is the unique Feedback control which allows the complete character of the amp to be changed and fine tuned from old school vintage valve amp tones at one end through to tighter more mid heavy modern tones at the other."

bonin in the boneyard and JIO like this.
  19. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    If it was NAMM from a few years ago when it was first introduced it would be this same unit.

Chucky Stiletti and JIO like this.
  20. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    No it was this past NAMM and it was tha model they had it running what looked like a 1X15 enclosure. Sounded pretty good.

davidprice likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021