1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD Traynor SB200H

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by madbanjoman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    69644666-C4C9-49ED-81A7-948A818ADBBA. I just got a new Traynor SB200H to replace my Quilter Tone Block 200. I used today for practice and I am quite happy with how clear it sounds through my MAS 16. It weighs half of what the Quilter weighs and has a four band EQ that I think will help in challenging rooms. I tried going direct from my Tonedexter into the AUX but the TD doesn’t have enough gain to drive the power amp. I will take it out to this weekend’s gigs and see how it sounds outside my practice room.

2. I have one too (See avatar). It's a great little amp.l! When I really need extra eq control I run an Eden WTDI in front. I rarely do though.

Congrats!

3. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Cool! Thanks! Do you use your SB200H with a drummer? My band is drummerless trio and 200watts is more than enough power. I was surprised when searching for more info on this amp how it was mostly on th BG side of TB that it was popular. I can’t wait to try it at a gig this weekend.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    So, it sounds like the Tone Dexter pre doesn’t have enough to drive the input on some power sections. Perhaps a bigger power amp like a M700 powered MAS 1/8 will work. Hopefully someone will try it.

Ric

5. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    From what I read the output gain is only +6db. One thing I didn’t try was driving the output section with the boost engaged which adds another +8db of gain.

6. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I tried it the TD with boost engaged and through the AUX input of the SB200H and I could probably use it like that but I didn’t really hear much of a difference and like the 4 band EQ and I think I could get more volume going into the normal input

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Makes sense, as I recall you need somewhere around 20-32

8. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I wonder if the AUX input is capable of handling the TD output like an FX return. I doubt it. They are usually just stereo inputs for MP3 players.

But if you dig the EQ on the head then I guess it's no issue. That looks like a super portable rig. Very cool. It's crazy how the footprint of bass gear continues to decrease. Great for our backs!

9. Yeah. Drummer within a 4 piece oldies/boogie/blues outfit. I use the little 2x8 can in my avatar too (electric bass though). No problems.

madbanjoman likes this.
  10. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I did my first gig with the SB200H and it went great. Very transparent, I didn’t need to mess with the EQ. After 2hrs outside in 80+ degrees, it was barely warm. I never heard the fan while I was playing. My Quilter is fanless and gets quite warm, even hot. There was a noticeable difference in temperature between the two. I had the gain at 11 o’clock and the EQ flat. It was plenty loud enough. All in all I am quite happy with it.