1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD: Wayne Jones Audio Powered 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TonyRo, Dec 10, 2018.

1. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    I am trying to size a bit down on weight and size (currently have a Darkglass DG410C and MT500) and so I picked this guy up.

cu12yqeiaxwnaaif2qsa.

I have always been a preamp lover and I have a ton. With my current pedalboard setup this allows me to just pop things in and out of the preamp slot, and I no longer have to worry about an amp. I felt kind of dumb having a $600 amp sitting on top of my cab when I was always plugging a preamp into the FX return anyway.

Tell you what, so far this thing sounds great. Pretty punch and quick, crystal clear, and just nice. I saw criticisms on the handle location, and I get it - if you need to drag this thing through a thin space then having the handles longways sucks. But handles longways is definitely more ergonomic and comfortable otherwise. No knee-knocking, etc.

One thing I notice right away is that most of the preamps I own have too wimpy of a signal to really challenge this thing. I tried two darkglass preamps, the TC Electronics Spectradrive and finally, the Shiftline Olympic MkIIIs, and I literally couldn't turn up the volume on any of the first 3 to generate any clipping at all. I might to invest in a clean boost! Only the Olympic could really push the speakers at around 80% level, and that is notoriously hot. Still sounded great, and man is the WJ 2x10 loud for it's size.

We'll see, but so far so good!

Pbassmanca and Stumbo like this.
  2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Love to hear one of these. I'm using a Noble tube-based pre into PJB Flightcase and/or powered PJB cab. They sound great. But that Wayne Jones 210 looks like a monster!

Pbassmanca and TonyRo like this.
  3. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Any time you're in Cleveland! :) But maybe Australia is closer!? :D

It's a loud 2x10, that's for sure. I pushed it up pretty high just for test purposes last night and it cooks! I actually have a Noble arriving today as well, pumped to finally get to play one!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    +1 on the Wayne Jones for sure .... I have not searched, tested or entertained ANY other rig since I finally settled in to this one ... can't believe I almost sold it early on. Run my rig dead flat at this point, just use the on-board stuff on my VB Jazz or my MM5. SS, SS + Tubes, or full tubes on the pre into that amp/cab is just ridiculously good and the Mil Origin drives the heck out of the amp stage via the balanced 'out'.

img_7456-.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Pbassmanca and Joshua like this.
  5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I bet it sounds great. Just a little expensive for me.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, sounds great, definitely expensive new. I got mine used for less than $1k, so I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing. If I had nitpicks so far, it'd be the handle location, and the fact that besides the attenuators, there's no overall master volume on the cabinet. So if you have preamps with no volume control on the XLR output (Noble for instance) or preamps with signals that aren't hot enough to really push the cab (all of my Darkglass preamps), then you're have to monkey around with things and kluge up a solution, e.g. a TS-> XLR cable for the Noble, etc.

packrat likes this.
  7. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I can definitely echo that the Noble is killer through a powered cabinet! I always enjoyed mine through the Bodai 112 or 45.5, depending on the gig.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I just picked up one of these and I’m just chasing the pre collection together now. Tech21 bass DI, sadowsky , dark glass, and bassart pre are the ones currently lined up. Probably a platinum for the upright.

What was the solution you came up with for the darkglass DI Level?

B>

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    I never did, though I can't claim to have tried very hard, as the Noble and Shiftline Olympic MkIIIs are my main preamps and both had more than enough gain on tap. As far as I can tell, your only real option would be to boost your signal before the DG preamp, or run the DG into a higher gain, transparent preamp with a DI out on it. Not particularly elegant. I tested with a passive bass - perhaps a hotter active bass signal would have been sufficient, but again, not a super robust solution!

10. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I predominantly play with active basses, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks.

11. tcasas209

tcasas209

Nov 20, 2013
    I play my 2x10 WJ thru my Aguilar Tone Hammer and it smacks hard! the warm tone of the Aguilar preamp balance super brightness of the WJ cab.

TonyRo likes this.
  12. wouter12

wouter12

Apr 13, 2009
    Colorado
    I would love to find a comparison between the Wayne Jones and the fEARless cabs. Been looking, anyone point me in the right direction?

13. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Is that the th500 or the pedal?