Naive question about connections.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda half heartedly looking at getting some recording inputs for my computer for doing a little home recording, jah?

Well, my question is this: I see so many inputs have a Neutrik input that're often listed as "XLR/ 1/4" Nuetrik input." The input looks like a black cross/plus sign. I'm taking a shot in the dark about needing an adapter here. But I've never seen a mic-to-neutrik adaptor... or am I just a total neophyte?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Neutrik is just a company/brand name for high-quality plugs and jacks of all kinds.

These are plug types:

XLR is XLR (also known as Cannon)

1/4" is phone (6.3 mm)

Not sure what you mean with that cross-like input, what card(s) are you looking at?
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know who Neutrik is, and what the XLR and 1/4" are, JMX, I've been doing this "music" thing a number of years now. ;)

I'm not looking at this one, but it shows what I'm talking about

(Labeled XLR/ 1/4" combo Neutrik connector in the pic)
  4. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Those are combination inputs - it will take either XLR or 1/4". (though the picture is kinda self evident. :) )
    A mic usually has XLR, right JMX? So you wouldn't need an adapter. And the OmniStudio provides phantom power to that jack so you can hook your mic directly into it.
    Nice little unit.

But I'd be wary of getting a USB box. For one, the direct monitor isn't really a direct monitor, it's more like a headphone out. The signal doesn't go to your computer and then back into the direct monitor out (as this would add too much lag on a USB connection). So you can't add effects or modify the signal at all while you're monitoring.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I understand. Every XLR input I've ever seen though has the three prongs, and every 1/4" one I've seen is a circle (duh). So what's up with the cross shaped plastic (?) bit on/ infront of the input.
  6. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I think that cross shape just guides the 1/4" straight into the connector, while leaving room for the prongs of the XLR.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, that answers the question I had.

I was kinda banging my head on the keyboard there for a minute. "Oh, come on guys, I know what an XLR and an 1/4", do you take me for some kind of idiot?" But re-reading, I can see how the question might have been worded poorly.
  8. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm pretty sure you knew what it was too, I was just funnin with you (that's why the smily was there). But yah, the strange connector threw me for a loop too. :)
    (If I'm wrong about it though, I'm sure JMX will be able to correct me.)
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would second the suggestion that you look for something that is a PCI sound card with breakout box rather than a usb box.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a pic. It will indeed take a male XLR or male TRS plug. Bitchen. Here's a link to a site with pictures of Neutrik stuff, too.

Neutrik plugs

11. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
  12. I have Neutrik connectors on my Midiman Flying Cow 24 bit AD/DA. The only down side I have encountered is that they are NOT oriented in the the "normal" male/female XLR manner, so I got a couple of "gender benders" to allow me to connect standard XLR cables. I am told the Nuetriks cost less, so manufacturers can save some money (which can be passed to the consumer, theoretically). The adapters were fairly cheap - I think about $10 each