1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Native American Flutes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Anybody have input on these beautiful instruments? I'm highly considering picking up a Backpacking flute tuned to F from Coyote Oldman. If anyone has some suggestions/comments/etc. as to where to buy one/how to care for it/flute related comments, post it here please! I'm dieing to know more from first person experiences on this instrument. :help:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    My girlfriend has a couple of flutes that are some kind of spun resin that she got through Carlos Nakai's website. They were inexpensive, sturdy (he apparently uses them when he tours), but they don't need the same kind of care as wood flutes. I think that the same thing you would do to care for any kind of natural finish -oil it from time to time, wipe the dust off etc.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've wanted one for a while, I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

4. Sounds cool, but couldn't find anything on his site...:(

http://www.butchhallflutes.com/catalog.html
    http://www.shopworks.com/coyote/ind...F2/userid/000A8812-1734-16AE-BB3800017F00E026

The two sites I've had most interest in. :)

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for those links Sundance!

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Stick your head closer to the monitor....

Siriusly, since she doesn't have a cedar (or whatever) flute to A/B against, all I can say is that it sounds like most of the recordings of NatAm flute that we have.