1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Natural vs Tinted? Which finish do you gravitate toward?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Au Naturel

62 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Transparent Color

59 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Solid Color

30 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I'm curious, what type of finish do you find you end up with on most of your basses: au naturel, solid color or see-through color?

I was thinking about my old basses and the majority of them were natural or a transparent color.
    I think I've owned 13 instruments over the years and IIRC, there were 6 naturals (including all 3 that I own currently), 4 transparent colors and 3 solids.

2. Natural.

3. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I'd say that transparent colors can be cool if the wood grain is nice.

currently, of my basses and guitars, I have 5 "natural", one transparent (blue quilt), two solid color, and one sunburst (that would be both solid and transparent, eh?)

4. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Depends on the bass...some look better natural, others tinted.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Can't vote. I lust after every variety if it hits my hot button.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    All my basses are pretty much white, but I can see more than a bit of wood on some. ;)

7. I voted transparent. I really like all types, but I find that natural is a bit boring but still really nice, and solid colour is ok, suits some basses but not others. Transparent has the best of both worlds

8. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    +1 :)

9. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    not surprisingly, my preferences run counter to the majority. I prefer solid color>opaque color>natural

In fact, I've never owned a "natural" wood bass and don't consider them for that reason. definitely not a fan of "coffee table top" basses either. just my .02 IMHO YMMV etc.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    transparent colour-I like a tangerine orange over flamed maple.

11. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Ooof! It depends for me.
    I don't like clear natural Fenders. They just look wrong to me.
    But that Rarest of rare all natural Thunderbird is calling me. Not the Zebra wood one mind you. The regular mahogany one in clear. Just beautiful.

12. Arsenal_Fierce

Arsenal_Fierce

May 28, 2008
    Chicago
    +1

As my sig notes, I'm a fan of flashy basses. Unusual colors, sparkly finishes. Most people would probably call me tacky. Someday I vow to own a surf green bass with a pearloid pickguard.

13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Whoa, I noticed I omitted 1 bass from my inventory. I've actually had 4 opaques, not 3. I somehow managed to forget about the wildest finished bass I've ever owned-a "Firecrackle" Charvel that I owned around 1989-1991.

Gubna, IMHO, when I think burst of any sort, I think transparent first because you can normally see the grain in the surface of the body. You only lose the grain if and when the finish goes black. On a Cherry Sunburst, there's no black edge and you see the grain all the way 'round.

My tastes have definitely changed over the years. 2 of the first 3 basses I ever owned were solid colors (both black) and only 2 of the last 11 were opaque. (Cant really call the firecrackle one "solid").

As I get older, I've developed more of an affection for "coffee table" looking basses. I enjoy a really pleasing grain much more than a flashy finish.
    Of course, I wouldn't mind a quilted maple top with a really deep, clear emerald green or sapphire blue finish
    ...mmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

14. Whatever bass sounds best is fine with me. I've always kinda wanted a transparent but never had one. Wait, I have a translucent purple Warwick... I take that back.

Whatever bass sounds best is fine with me.

15. mitchelllucas

mitchelllucas

Jul 29, 2008
    what evers cheaper...