NBD! 1973 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass4ThePublic, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Hello,

Welcome back to one of my recurring GAS attacks

Last week, I bought a bass listed as a 1972 precision bass, for a great price too (less than $2,000). It has been modified with a refin by MJT, a lollar pickup, a purple pickguard, and a badass 2 bridge. Truss rod spins nicely too. I soon disassembled the bass to shim the neck and change the pickup. I changed the pickup with a 1971 Fender P pickup I got here on TB. When I opened the pickguard, the routing underneath surprised me as it was routed in the 1973 pattern, never to be found on 1972 fenders. I used the green stamp on the neck to date the bass to the 28th week of 1973, made on a Wednesday to be exact :) . The serial number dates to very late 1972, so I’m writing it off as the all too common serial number overlap which was commonly found in the 70’s.

Ok, no big deal, I still got it for a great deal for a 1973 Precision. The owner stripped the neck with sandpaper. I know this because the neck is still sealed, I can’t feel the grain. Also, a part of the headstock was rounded in the sanding process (still looks good, and hey, it was the 70’s). I strung it with rotosound swing bass 66’s, set the neck relief and string action to factory spec and headed off to band practice.

My band likes it, hip hip hooray! Through my rumble 500 combined with my Seymour Duncan Studio compressor, this thing roars! With the sanded down neck and B profile 70’s neck, this thing is surprisingly very fast and dynamic for a P bass. Very light too, I seriously doubt this thing weighs more than 8.5 lbs.

Overall, I’m tempted to leave it just the way it is now. The only thing I would replace is the bridge of the saddles corrode together, which these old Leo Quans are know for. In a week, it’s getting road tested with some gigs in Kansas City and Iowa.

Here is a pic! (It’s the bass all the way to the right)
    BD1075DD-7319-479C-BBC8-4EBBDE868509.jpeg

StevieMac, nixdad, Tmw2011 and 10 others like this.
  2. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Really nice congrats!!!!

Bass4ThePublic likes this.
  3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    awesome bass! congrats!

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Looks like my '73 p bass!

proxy-3.jpg

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool ax, OP! it looks like a player and i'm sure that it is --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021