1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! 1981 Aria Pro II SB 1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaSam, Mar 16, 2013.

1. I've been eyeballing this bass in a seedy pawn shop down here in Florida for what seems like years. I finally got a small bonus from work today and went to a journey to seriously see what this bass was all about. It was love at first pluck. Being an OLD Metallica fan I had always wanted an Aria SB 1000, the fact this one is black even adds to that.

Also, when I was in high school, I had a friend who worked in a music store. He would bring me old catalogs to drool over. I remember the one that still to this day made an impression on me was an Aria Pro II bass catalog from the 80's with these in it. It took 25 years but I finally got my SB.

It shows some road wear and whoever owned it liked their belt buckles and bracelets as there's some rash. But the electronics look and perform great and the frets have tons of life left.

Wouldn't it figure that band practice was cancelled for tonight, gonna have to wait to let her rip.

Best part: $400.00!!!!

f2vss2.

280ikc2.

5fjh9h.

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Sweet! Nice score...

3. Awesome deal! Very nice...

Just got mine a week or so ago and I am LOVING it!

4. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree

Sep 19, 2011
    Yum Yum sloober. Oh sorry I'll stop now. Purdy bass.:p

5. MoscowRadio

MoscowRadio

Sep 28, 2012
    At 400$, it's probably the best find ever.

6. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Kick ass bass man! Enjoy!

7. I've had a couple of days to play the Aria and it has far exceeded my expectations. I've never owned a bass, let alone a 32 year old bass, that didn't need some neck adjustment. This thing is amazing. I lowered the action at the bridge one turn on each saddle and its perfect. No buzzing, even with my ham hands. It's a keeper.

I'm still amazed that this bass lasted YEARS in that pawnshop with no takers.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wow nice score!

9. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    More of a John Taylor than a Cliff Burton... maybe you should sell it to me? ;)

Congrats, that's a great find!

10. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    Totally agree. That is just like JT used in the mid 80's.

Really nice find for the price. :bawl: Congrats!!! :bassist:

11. Don't tell my metal band mates but the first cassette I ordered from Colombia House in my 11 cassettes for a penny deal was Rio. I just had a blast watching some old YouTube clips from the early 80's and yup, JT was sporting the same black SB1000. Super cool.