NBD: A Destination P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cymbop, Aug 7, 2022.

1. cymbop

cymbop

Mar 1, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    (TL; DR) :) Dude likes bass.

Thanks, Talkbass, for so much inspiration and knowledge — for helping me find the sound in my head. I’ve learned so much from this place, I just wanted to share a dream with y’all.

It’s been twelve years since my last NBD. I’m a little jealous of the guys who churn their herd, with the thrills of the chase and all those New Bass Days. But I’m a buy-and-hold guy. Find the very best thing you can possibly reasonably afford — and if you’re still using it a decade later, give yourself permission to replace it.

I decided to go all-in on the only kind of axe for me in this world: a P with Jazz neck.

I adore old things, but never had a vintage bass. That option had a lot of appeal, but finding the dream Precision with an A-width neck was going to be a needle in a haystack, and pricey at that. I looked also at Fender Custom Shop: an actual custom would take a year-plus wait, and the customer experience seemed disconnected from the factory and craftsmen.

When I wrote to Lakland, it was John P himself who responded and became my only contact from start to finish. Bossman suffered my questions, stayed in touch, and never said no to the stupid ideas for my dream bass.

“Can I have block inlays made out of roasted maple to match the headstock?” No problem, won’t cost much, he said. “Hey, could you etch the word FUNK into the heel of the neck in homage to Mr. Jamerson?” Um, sure. “Would the craftsmen put their initials on the back of the body please?" Yeah, man. Taboot, John let me send a set of Fralins and my beloved LaBella 760FL’s for factory install and setup.

The Biggest Stupidest Idea, though, was the finish.

I enjoy the aesthetic of a time-worn and play-worn body. I see no shame in buying a relic’d bass, but there are so many examples that don’t quite do it for me — so many ways to be nervous that it wouldn’t come out quite how I hoped. So I asked John if he’d ever done a paint job with no clear coat on top. A bass that’s ready for the user to relic by just playing it. He said, “No… But I’ll try it, if that’s what you want.” He warned to avoid contact with fingernail polish remover, and that was a responsibility I could accept.

Sonic Blue was the color of the first real USA Precision I ever held in a music store. It was impossibly expensive to me then — unobtainable — and it just glowed as it sat in my lap. I never forgot it.

So: a thin coat of Sonic Blue, sprayed over Candy Apple Red. There’s a beating heart beneath that sky of blue. If I ding or scratch her, she’ll bleed. The hope is that in 10 years, she could look like I’ve played her for 50.

I mean, it’s a P-bass: what could be more basic?

But I think that there’s no bass just like this one in the whole wide world.

8CB889DE-5020-47BF-8E6D-07B5A1B0E5AB_1_105_c.jpeg
    F3110E78-17B1-40BE-AC2C-9966BF78AA47_1_105_c.jpeg
    89886E2B-7D43-49D3-B96E-00458D39F2D6_1_105_c.jpeg
    297429F4-AB39-4344-9205-43C757234D46_1_105_c.jpeg
    BDFAFE1D-10DE-4F6D-9509-4BF28CF9E4FD_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  2. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Nice! Great story and I hope you get a good number of years out of it.

srayb, Holdsg, Treblefree and 5 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow! Great looking bass! And how awesome of the company to just accommodate you like that! I mean, I realize you paid for the options. But they really went out of their way to say yes.

And the results are worth it. I hope it serves you well for decades.

4. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    What a beauty! Enjoy!

Holdsg, Dust2Dust and cymbop like this.
  5. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    Those inlays turned out awesome! I like your style.

bigjames, Holdsg, Treblefree and 7 others like this.
  6. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Someone needs to take this as a challenge to have the front of their headstock faced with the same pearloid that their block inlays are made of.

rzero, rockdoc11, Lownote38 and 9 others like this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Dude! I like bass! :D

love that finish idea too, really cool :thumbsup:

Stop by the club, you’re in good company;)
    J Neck P Bass Club

Holdsg, kwdhsk, murphy and 2 others like this.
  8. Nice! Cool looking bass.

Holdsg and cymbop like this.
  9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Very cool - enjoy playing it in good health! :) Sonic Blue is one of my favorite solid colors. :cool:

10. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Great story, great looking bass. Big congrats!

Holdsg and cymbop like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s a great looking handle. Wear it out.

cymbop likes this.
  12. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    My favorite post, in quite a while. A truly appreciative/happy member of the collective.

Enjoy the bass, my Brutha!!!

Can't wait to see it in 10 years.
    As a matter of fact... mmmmmmmmmaaaaaayyyyybeeeeee... a "once a year" update on how it NATURALY/Beautifully "ages/bleeds", may be really cool, yes?

Peace,
    Marc

13. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Congratulations! Really dig that headstock match/inlay, enjoy! :thumbsup:

cymbop likes this.
  14. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Nice all around, congrats!

cymbop likes this.
  15. Sweet :cool:

Congratulations and enjoy :thumbsup:

cymbop likes this.
  16. I’m not fond of relic’d guitars, but I like your idea of essentially make a finish that flakes off easily. The wear will really be yours, just accelerated. I’d love to see what it looks like say two years from now.
    I thought the silliest relic was the Jaco bass. They supposedly stripped the paint off exactly as it was on the bass of doom, and then clear coated it!

17. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I would never order those specs, but obviously I’m an idiot because that thing is breathtaking. Like, wow. It is gorgeous now. When the red starts to peek through it’s going to be even better.

Nicely done!

18. That one looks cool, very unique fretboard. Nice!

cymbop likes this.
  19. Isaac_James

Isaac_James

May 20, 2021
    Eugene, OR
    Lovely all around but that roasted maple headstock/inlay is choice. I'd love to see more basses like that.

Treblefree, FourStringFunk and cymbop like this.
  20. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Beautiful!

cymbop likes this.