1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! and need help picking a set of Flatwounds...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChankSmith, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ChankSmith

ChankSmith

Jul 15, 2016
    just snagged this Sonic Blue 60s classic vibe off reverb for $280!

My Matt Freeman and 1990 57' AVRI both have rotosound IMG-4453.JPG swing's on them and now I want to put flats on the 60s.

Looking for a set of flats that's gonna be easy on the neck/truss rod. I keep seeing that TI's seem to have low tension but with all the brands and info on flats its hard to know where to start. I'm over here losing my mind trying to settle on a brand! :nailbiting:

thx for any help in advance...

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Happy NBD! Maybe try some LaBella LTF (Low Tension Flats).

3. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Dunlop... congrats on the new bass!!! :bassist:

Pbassmanca, Aqualung60 and bdplaid like this.
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Bite the bullet and get the TI’s. They are great. Very flexible and also balanced sounding from string to string. Something I find lacking in most flats.

5. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Some folks (me) find the tension of TIs too low on a P bass. I love them on my Turner Renaissance fretless but not on my P bass. Lower cost, but great flats are La Bellas either light gauge or low tension; best no expense spared flats are Pyramids. Just my opinion, but been playing flats forever.

6. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I have VM P and by some weird reason I put GHS precision flats on them. DANG! That thing is monster now. Highly recommended.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I love the GHS Precision Flats, but they no longer offer the Long Scale. They offer the Long Scale Plus, which are fine for string-thru; but don't work real well on a top-loaded bass. You can use them, but aesthetically, you don't see much of the silks at the headstock.

On top-loaded P's and J's, I really like the LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats.

bobyoung53 and JIO like this.
  8. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Yup. LTF's for the win. Once they settle in they are awesome.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Are you confusing "high tension" with "stiff"? They aren't necessarily the same thing. TI's aren't really particularly "low tension"; they're just very, very flexible, because of how they're made. La Bella makes some flats that actually are low tension - their "Low Tension Flexible Flats". I've never used them, but other people seem to like them. Fender 9050s seem pretty flexible - to me, anyway. I have them on an old Fender P-Bass; they feel and sound really nice.. Most flat wounds - "normal" gauge flat wounds - don't really put much more tension on a bass' neck that a lot of rounds do. Flats are usually just much stiffer feeling than rounds - which makes people think they must have a much higher tension. Which they don't. So... if you haven't had any/much experience with flats, on trick to get used to them is to get a set of whatever you decide on, a step lighter than your usual round wound strings. That usually makes the flats feel more like your rounds, stiffness-wise. I'm thinking you might like the Fender 9050Ls. A nice, middle of the road flat wound; they're smooth, good feeling strings, and not real expensive, either. And, for flats, they break in fairly quickly, too...:cool:

10. ChankSmith

ChankSmith

Jul 15, 2016
    awesome thanks for the tip..I wasn't too concerned with "stiffness" of strings as much as I am the actual tension on the neck. Think I'm gonna look into the La Bella's and see how they are. Only rounds I normally run 45-105 so ill see if they have something a step down form that

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Chromes!!!

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Chromes are pretty stiff, IMO.

13. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Nice bass. And Duncans; you may want to go a size down as they're a little stiff, like all flats.

14. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Throw some Fender 9050s on it. They're great "middle of the road" flats, and don't cost a lot. I dig em.

Pbassmanca and TjMetalhead like this.
  15. ChankSmith

ChankSmith

Jul 15, 2016
    these fender 9050s look good..how are they on a p bass neck?

16. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    On the 34" scale P basses that I've installed TIs on, I've found that I usually have to _loosen_ the truss rod about 1/8 turn to provide enough relief. You may have to do that with any flats that are considered "low tension". TIs have a wonderful "complex" sound and they last for years and years.

I recommend LaBella 760FLs (FL means "Light"). When I replace stock strings with them, they usually don't need any tweaking of the truss rod at all. LaBella 760s have more of a "traditional", strong fundamental sound.

Any new flatwounds need some "break-in" time before the tone settles in. They usually sound a bit too bright when first installed.

Congrats on the new bass!

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sonic blue looks great! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

can't help you with the flats. :)

Pbassmanca and lowdownthump like this.
  18. soflbass

soflbass

Mar 2, 2013
    S Florida
    The Fender 9050L is a nice set. Good mid bump and sound fantastic when broken in. They sound modern with some high end bite. A bit stiff, but manageable.
    GHS Precision flats, light set is also nice, but leans towards a more thumpy vintage sound. But supple and light tension compared with the Fender set.
    YMMV

Pbassmanca, ChankSmith and gelinas666 like this.
  19. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I've only used them on jazz bass type necks... G&L and Ibanez mostly. Can't imagine they wouldn't be good with a slightly chunkier profile. I've tried a Lot of flatwound strings (haven't tried the TIs), and I wouldn't hesitate to put either the Fenders, Chromes, or a more recent favorite, Dunlops. I just ordered a set of DR flats in short scale flavor for my Mustang.
    You can find the Fenders for $20 - $25 all day long. Hard to beat at that price, especially to experiment.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Labella or TI flats.. I want labellas

Pbassmanca and JIO like this.