NBD Blue Sandblasted Precision... Now with mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sjhs, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Not strictly new, but now in the state that I intended when I bought it recently... Here's a close shot of the body/grain in some decent light when I first bought it.

lZmsbfH.jpg

And now, modded and setup... EMG Geezer P, Hipshot HB-7 tuners, Babicz bridge, more black bits and pieces (knobs, jack nut and washer, pickguard screws, strap buttons, string retainer, neck plate and screws)... Tuned drop C with Kalium strings (47/63/86/130), think I'll try bigger gauges at some point to increase the tension a bit.

V3bbJ0P.jpg

I know there are plenty of people out there that think the sandblasted basses are ugly as sin, but I love it! And it's not just the "everyone thinks their baby is beautiful" effect... it's light and comfortable to play, with no weird feeling from the finish, and I like that it's a bit different while still a P in all the important ways.

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Congrats! I tried one out in the shop and found that despite its cosmetic novelty this bass did indeed play like a quintessential Precison.
    I like your upgrades; those black tuners are particularly sharp. Enjoy.

3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington

On my P bass I had a .130 string that was floppier than what I have now, which is a .120 taperwound. I have my P-bass tuned BEAD and it works great, doesn't feel too loose.

I've read on TB somewhere that sometimes you want to try going down a gauge to tighten it up. I believe Pete Skjold was the guy saying something about it. He uses a .124 for a low B because the reduced mass makes it feel like the B string is tighter even though the tension is lower.

4. Thanks for the tip! It's the first time I've drastically changed the gauge/tuning on a bass and was just working on the theory that bigger string tuned the same = feels tighter. The B on my five string in the background of that pic is a 130 and feels much tighter than the 130 on the P, if I can get the feel of my B on the 5 for the C on my P then I'll be pretty happy :)

5. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Black strings would finish the effect nicely... but I have a feeling @Malak the Mad will chime in with a suggestion for the edge of that pick guard ;)

6. I have DR strings on my other basses... I very nearly continued the trend and opted for some black beauties, but thought I'd give the Kalium balanced tension idea a go. I agree black strings would suit the look... If I could get custom gauged sets of black strings without having to order from the other side of the world that's definitely what I'd have gone for.

7. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Love it! :thumbsup:

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Well, since you asked so nicely… :whistle:

Marko's talking about a mod I did on my blueburst parts-bass that turned out as awesome as it was inexpensive. Basically, I removed the pickguard and waved a standard, dark blue Sharpie Permanent Marker at the white pinstripe. After two layers and an hour or so to dry, I took a folded-up paper towel and used it to burnish in the dye while removing the excess that wouldn't graft to the guard.

The funny thing is what Bob Ross would call a "happy accident", I discovered that particular dye takes on a blue-to-purple-scarab-effect depending on the quality/amount of light and how the light hits it. Eventually, I'll experiment with some brush-on glue to make sure it's protected from any incoming moisture.

ProjektBlue03_zps7d4a1dfe.jpg
    ProjektBlue02_zpseff0e1f6.jpg

sjhs likes this.
  9. Does it feel like touching a tree?

10. A well behaved tree, perhaps... One that doesn't have any sharp parts at least.

11. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Looks great. Definitely love mine!

sjhs likes this.
  12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I love those mods. I picke done up a few days ago, also second hand. I cant believe how good this bass is. Its my first maple necked P bass and im loving it.
    First thing i did was take a Gotoh 201 off my Jazz bass and put it on this. Although i dont mind BBOT bridges i wanted the action low and the saddle screws were really sticking out. I do have a set of shorter ones but it seemed easier to change the bridge. Plus i do prefer the look of high mass bridges. Im going to replace this one with a black version though. Now ive sene how these look with black hardware i know what ill be getting next.

13. That's exactly my issue... I often palm mute, and have drawn blood on one of my basses where the G string saddle is so low for my action that the screws become graters :-/ I love that the Babicz feels the same regardless of the action.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Same as as the Gotoh. I've got the E and G saddles sitting on the plate but still nothing sticking out. I think I will shim the neck soon though, just so I can get a bit play out of them. The action is great but the neck seems like it can take a lower action.

15. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Nicely done!

Those seem to be the new version of the American Specials which have the Slim C neck.

I have an 2013 modded Am Spec.
    Those things are ergonomic Precisions and are made for modding. My ideal version is Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup, Gotoh 201 bridge and Hipshot Ultralites.

The black Hardware on your bass looks awesome!
    Great purchase, great mods!
    Congrats!

16. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Also, I ended up shimming the neck when I installed the high mass bridge, too.

17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I noticed the neck plate on mine is plain, so I've got a Fender plate coming, the one with just F on it. When I put that on I'll also shim the neck.
    I'm very tempted to get a black Gotoh 201 but I think I need to stop changing things and get on and play the bass lol.

18. Lowness

Lowness Inactive

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA

The part that irks me on these basses is the maple finger board on the dark body - I think Rosewood would have been the piece-de-resistance but whatevs.

The sand blasted look is something that had to be done - it is very cool, if not for everyone. Fender can safely tick the box on the sandblasted look.

plankspanker13 likes this.
  19. It's a pretty bright maple look, that's for sure... As a massive Steve Harris fan I would have been ok with a vintage tint on the neck, but I don't might it how it is. I agere a rosewood board would look good, but all my other basses have dark wood fingerboards so changing it up a bit is good.

20. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    That all looks great with black hardware.