1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender Reverse Jag (Hey! At Least it's Not a Squire!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamvan, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    As has become customary for me, when the TB zeitgeist zigs, I zag. Picked up a Fender Reverse Jaguar bass because it is likely the most impractical bass around (except for some of those 10+ stringers). I have my run of J's and P's and Ray's and I was looking for something with a little more attitude to it. We play mostly roadhouses and are evolving our sets to be more Outlaw Country/Rock and this thing oozes outlaw to me. Actually had to duck out on a gig break Saturday night to bid for it as the eBay auction ended while we were on break between 1st and 2nd sets. It was a somewhat local deal so I just picked it up.

After a thorough DNA cleanse, new strings, and setup, she sounds nice and punchy. It will take a bit of getting used to with the 32" scale and the strap position shifts everything about 2"-3" to the left for me. Should be a fun one to gig though. At least something different than what everyone else is playing.

Here are some pics:

On my (messy) bench, getting a deep cleaning.
    FullSizeRender 142.

Dual passive humbuckers
    FullSizeRender 143.

Reverse headstock (not as hard to tune as some of the threads indicate)
    FullSizeRender 144.

Crappy overhead shot:
    FullSizeRender 145.

Easy turning truss and great neck.
    FullSizeRender 146.

Great 'burst.
    FullSizeRender 147.

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Pretty unique - I've never seen a Jag like that. :cool:

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've got one similar, I got the loaded body from Stratosphere and threw on a lefty 34" scale neck. Had a minor issue getting the bridge saddles far enough back to intonate because of the scale change, but removing the springs and some shorter screws worked like a charm. Now I just need to finish it (minor routing in the bottom of the pickup cavities needed to get the Nordie Big Men to fit in).

4. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Did you switch to a right hand neck or did you stay with the reverse lefty?

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I had a lefty neck lying around actually, fit perfectly other than the minor bridge issue. I could reposition the bridge, I suppose, but it works as is, the only hard part was finding the correct screw thread.

Jamvan likes this.