1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Ibanez TMB300 Forest Green

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongostealth, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NOTE: I am not an Ibanez endorser.

I am not a 4-string player. I like to at least have the low B string. However, this bass piqued my interest and I purchased it on a whim.

IMAG0228.

The picture doesn't do it justice. The bass looks much better in person, trust me. Although, I know that the Forest Green is an acquired taste. It's not my favorite color, but the price was too good to pass up.

The scoop: I purchased this for $254.99 New on evil-bay. For this price, I cannot find anything bad with this bass! I am actually quite impressed! The finish and construction is basically flawless, the tuners are nice and smooth, and the 2-band preamp is powerful! It's actually a loud bass! The only thing I would need to do to it is adjust the action and intonation just a bit, and readjust the knobs. But the neck came straight, the frets are smooth with no rough edges, and overall plays great!

The moment you plug this thing in, the Marcus Miller grooves just start coming alive off of the fretboard. The bass has a series/single-coil switch for the rear pickup. With both pickups on full, and the switch in the 'down' position, you get a jazz bass tone - ala Marcus Miller. With the switch in the 'up' position, you get a definitely much beefier jazzy-ish tone but with mids - slightly hinting at Music Man but not quite.

The only drawback for me is that it does not have that low B string. Granted, I could just string the bass B to D, but I would then miss the G string. The lack of the B string is the only reason I might return this bass. But, if anything, it makes an excellent backup bass!

Overall impression: This is a winner hands-down! If you are a 4-string player, are into retro looks, but like having modern options, this is the bass for you!

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Cool looking bass.. nice Score! Enjoy!

bongostealth likes this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats....I agree with your take on the bass. Also, the green looks nice, not my favorite color, but it looks cool on that bass. I was impressed when I first tried a Talman last year, and it has been my favorite since and yet also the cheapest bass I have. The thing is loud! lol...Great bass for the money.
    Anyway, just wanted to add that the bass is available in a Five string version. Not a direct version of the TMB300 (with the two Jazz and 1 P pickup config) but P/J versions of the TMB105 and TMB605 (with the Nordys) They're new this year. So if you're really liking the bass but wanting a five string version of it, there are two 5ers now.

Screen shot 2016-02-23 at 10.36.20 AM. Screen shot 2016-02-23 at 10.33.30 AM.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    bongostealth, dinodino and JCooper like this.
  4. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    That red and green is so Christmassy -- if Santa Claus played bass, it'd look like that. :)

dragon2knight and bongostealth like this.
  5. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    Kinda looks like Yamaha's Mist Green, and I like the overall design of it to boot. Great that it sounds the part as well. Even if you do send it back, at least you found a new type of bass you like, so there's that... Anyway enjoy it while you still have it, and happy NBD!

bongostealth and Maxdusty like this.
  6. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I usually play a five-string but couldn't resist a mint green one. I have it tuned BEAD and haven't really missed the G string. I like that it weighs more than two pounds less then my Fender and Sterling. Incredible bass for the $$

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Arrgghhh! My favorite color. That's a great looking little bass, haven't seen one "in the wild" yet. My local GC has a lot of Ibanez basses not this one yet. How does it balance?

8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Love mine, paints the guard white. Best beater out there. 300 clams is a steal

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree. Mine is my beater bass too (well, not beater, but my everyday, out of the case on a stand kind of bass). Perfect because of the wide tonal range of these things - it certainly beat the VM Jag I had in that role and I really liked that jag.

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice bass. I've played a couple and been quite impressed. Both TMB models are some of the best value out there at their price points. If I didn't already have a MIM P, I'd probably own one.

11. It balances quite well, although it is not completely free from neck dive, but the neck dive is not that noticeable.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree, Ibanez probably anticipates this particular line will be popular as they have added a few new models to the line this year, currently the lineup is:-

TMB30 - a passive short scale at around US$179.99
    TMB100, TMB100L (Left handed version) & TMB105- five string version of the TMB100
    TMB300
    TMB600 & TMB605- Talman with Norstrand pickups with EQ bypass switch- 4 & 5 string versions
    TMB2000 - Prestige class Talman, Nordstrand pickups with EQ bypass switch.

13. BigJoeAsi

BigJoeAsi

Jan 17, 2015
    This is my first post on TB except for a few messages back and forth for a head I bought. I like that its for my TMB.

I bought one Friday. I got the metallic Green also. My band members and at a jam last night I got a lot of compliments on its looks at tone. Nobody at the jam had even heard of them or ever saw one. THe jam host who is a bass player jaw about hit the floor when I told him how much I paid for it after he played it.

Its such a versatile bass tone wise, and has a great action. I'm impressed with the quality Ibanez puts into this inexpensive instrument. I had an Artcore Hollow body guitar also, I sold it to buy the TMB. It was inexpensive and was build solid with a great action too.

Had these been out then I would have dropped the $300 on one of them instead of a Squier. I bought a Squier VM Jazz 70's and it is a very nice playing bass and sounds decent. The Squier will be hanging on the wall for now. I like the Squier and it will get played, and not just be there in case of an emergency. But I'm sure the TMB will be #1 for a while.

Maxdusty likes this.