NBD: Pre-CBS P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr_Feelgoood212, Oct 1, 2017.

1. So a couple weeks ago I found a '61 P-bass on my local classifieds, went to look at it fell in love with it but we didn't agree on a price. The guy selling it was the second owner, he had it since 1964 and bought it from his friend. On my way out, him and his wife insisted I stay and have a cup of coffee, so I sat in his kitchen for an hour listening to amazing musician stories from the 60's and 70's. Fasts forward to last night, I received an email last night, basically saying come pick it up for the price I offered!
    As for the bass, previous owner claims it's early 61, I haven't had it apart but there is no patent numbers under the logo so assuming the neck is a 60, and the previous owner said the pots were changed in the late 70's. The neck plate checks out to be 61 as well.
    It was poorly refinished in the late 60's by his drummer. Story goes that the drummer had a black kit and wanted the bass to match, so one night he took the bass, stripped it, and painted it. Which is a shame because the amount of mojo on the neck and knobs is amazing.
    I have the original pickup cover but not ashtray cover.
    It plays fantastically and sounds equally incredible!
    Anyways, without further ado, I bring to you, my pre-CBS
    IMG_9368.JPG
    IMG_9376.JPG
    IMG_9384.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_9378.JPG
    IMG_9382.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Doesn't get much better. Far out. :thumbsup:

nixdad and Dr_Feelgoood212 like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Heck with the refin.

That bass looks freaking great. If it plays great, sounds great and came with a great story (bonus) then rock that puppy.

Congrats!

nixdad, Stumbo, JJR58 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Very cool.

My 1st bass was a '62 that had been played hard and long by the original owner.
    It was like putting on old slippers--SO comfy and natural.

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi https://www.talkbass.com/members/dr_feelgoood212.305109/ :)

Are you ready for 61 droolies? :D

Here they come:

drool
    drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool
    drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool aaaaand....

moio.jpg

Happy NBD :hyper::hyper::hyper:

enjoy her

greetings

Wise(b)ass

nixdad and Dr_Feelgoood212 like this.
  6. The decal is a (very poor) replacement, installed at the wrong location on top of that. Could be a '60, could be a '62, could be an early '62. Only way to know is to remove the neck, and see if there is something written there (or not).

ajkula66 and Dr_Feelgoood212 like this.
  7. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Probably replaced the decal when it was refinished or sometime afterwards. Still looks great! That's one dark Brazilian fingerboard.

Dr_Feelgoood212 likes this.
  8. tat2clod

tat2clod

Nov 19, 2011
    Bloomington IN
    Congratulations on such a find. That's what we all dream of getting our hands on enjoy it. drool

9. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Very nice!

10. Update: I took it apart the other day, the neck is 12/61 and body appears to be 1/62. Like I said the pots were changed multiple times, which I'm not surprised, the one of the knobs has been used so much that there is a deep groove in it. The pickups have the black bobbin, I didn't get a great picture of it though. The original paint can still be seen too!The previous owner hasn't sent me any copies of the photos he has yet but sent me a link to photo with him and the bass in it, there is a description with the pic on the site, but want to keep his name private.
    IMG_9386.JPG IMG_9387.JPG kfcklyxuwvpbfqhmkrkfaqeym_me_and_aleksa.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021