1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Rickenbacker 4003 (A childhood dream come true)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theNecatoR, Feb 27, 2020.

1. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    After longing for a Rick since I discovered Bass eons ago, I finally got my hands on one. 4003, 2013, Jetglo. It's a keeper!

I usually take pictures of my Basses myself, but the awesome people at RockWall Guitars did a great job already:

Rickenbacker_4003_Jetglo_2013_1340771_01.jpg
    Rickenbacker_4003_Jetglo_2013_1340771_03.jpg
    Rickenbacker_4003_Jetglo_2013_1340771_52.jpg

Another 50+ pictures HERE.

armybass, fretno, TMcMan and 30 others like this.
  2. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Also, for those who know me, I am totally going to butcher this Bass. Hipshot UltraLites and D-Tuner. Big Radio Knobs (or mybe Rickenbacker TV Knobs). Black Pickguard and black Truss Rod Cover (if I can get them).

HG1180 and el jeffe bass like this.
  3. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Jetglo is so nice.

theNecatoR likes this.
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Congrats on a very nice one! Happy playing :)

Rezdog

theNecatoR likes this.
  5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I hope you take to it , there are a few that don't . Me , I love a nice Ric . Congratulations , enjoy !

theNecatoR likes this.
  6. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nah, that ain't "butchering," that's "murdering" - in that you're going to blacken out much of the white/chrome stuff. Should look cool! Butchering would be removing (sometimes actually digging out) most of the things that make a Rick bass a Rick bass! So I say, "Not Guilty!"

7. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    It made me Riff when I first tried it, so, yeah, it has me hooked! It is going to be a though competition between the Rick, Jag and RD.

Thanks for the verdict!
    Black truss rod cover and big radio knobs (like the ones on my RD) are on the way. I actually did not order a new pickguard yet. I am going to try vinyl decals, I mean, they work on cars, and are way easier to get. I hope that does the trick.

8. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Congrats! Let's see pics of it once you have taken it to the dark side.

theNecatoR likes this.
  9. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    DA88FCAF-A1BC-4642-A47E-A6A0C91384F2.jpeg

Not there yet, but getting closer.

Rezdog, nbsipics, Qlanq and 3 others like this.
  10. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I like it .

theNecatoR likes this.
  11. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    I just need the new tuners installed and maybe sometime a proper black pick guard.
    E3F62C07-8B5E-4DE8-B2F4-93CC82A879B6.jpeg

12. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Just don't throw the original parts away and try not to drill any new holes. Modding like that really tanks the resale, even ricks with mods go down in value a bunch.

Other than that, the 4003 is a class act and piece of bass history too, and I'm sure you'll love it. I've had 4 or 5 4001/3's (lost count) and if I ever recover financially from buying my jaco, I plan to get another one myself. Enjoy!

L

theNecatoR and nateh415 like this.
  13. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    I still have the original parts. Still, I never think about resale value with Basses I modify. I understand the reason, but I like having an instrument that suits me, regardless. This one’s a keeper, though.
    Now that I have the Rick fever, I need another one to modify heavily XD (same that happened with my RD).

nateh415 likes this.
  14. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Well replacing the bridge is always an improvement on the 400x so that's a good idea right off the bat lol. Tho the brand new ones seem to have a new design (finally) from the factory. If I ever manage to pay off my jaco pastorius and win the lotto, I'm definitely getting a 4003s Walnut. I've been jonesing for one of those ever since they started coming out...

L

15. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    I would love to get my hands on the 4003v2 bridge some day soon!

16. Doesn't look butchered to me, like the move towards an all-black vibe.

But you know, Ric makes their own 'Big Radio' knobs that might be appropriate:

Lennon Rick.jpg

nateh415 and theNecatoR like this.
  17. Yay!!!!

18. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Yes, I saw those on the Al Cisneros Bass, but they are a bit pricey. I Still think I might want to get them someday though.

HG1180 likes this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I had the same bass many moons ago. Miss it,
    ENJOY!

theNecatoR likes this.
  20. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I wish Hipshot made D-Tuners in the right style. They make one that fits the Ric, but it has the wrong tuner key type- i was set to buy one, but the rep explained the situation, and i declined. If you get one, or if anyone here has one, pics would be appreciated, maybe that would encourage me to make the jump

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021