1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Sandberg FortyEight (warning: fretless content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by equill, Sep 1, 2020.

1. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    I've been drooling over these for a while, and a few months back I was finally in a position to make the order. Last week, it arrived:
    Sandberg_FortyEight.jpg
    Haven't had time to really put it through its paces, and won't for another few weeks yet, but my impressions so far are:
    - That neck is fantastic!
    - It sounds great.
    - The onboard preamp is the best I've used yet. There's a slight difference between active and passive modes. If anything, it sounds a little more "present" with the preamp on, but that's about it.
    - It's not for the short of arm, especially if you balance it with the belly-cut actually against your belly. I'm 6 feet tall and moderately long-armed with it, and it's just at the edge of a comfortable reach for me.
    - As others have said, fret access is limited above the 17th. But really, who plays that high on a bass like this anyway?
    - Did I mention the preamp? I didn't expect to get such a reggae-ready tone out of roundwounds.
    - The curved ridge makes for a surprisingly good thumb-rest.
    - The finish has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Thanks to Dub56 for the pointer about modifying an Epiphone Thunderbird case - that worked nicely.

Funny thing: I knew it was due around this time, and I've been looking more and more at my SR370, thinking "but this is already a nice instrument. Did I just do something stupid?"
    Nope. This is so much nicer.
    You'd expect so, from a custom build at several times the price, but Sandberg delivered.

Jughead6, Eli_Kyiv, Wito and 7 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Wicked Sick! (Meant as the ultimate compliment (Unreal Tournament 2000)! ;))

equill likes this.
  3. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I've been gassing after a fretless sandberg a while now. Gorgeous bass.

equill likes this.
  4. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    You should definitely go for it.
    And thankyou :)

5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Wow, this is gorgeous!

equill likes this.
  6. Vodyanoi

Vodyanoi

Mar 24, 2020
    I don't like the T-bird shape, but quite frankly i haven't seen anything like this; the way the body is curved is gorgeous; as a whole, it screams quality & attention to detail, as expected by Sandberg. Congrats!

equill likes this.
  7. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    That's what ultimately drew me to this model: they've combined the best of the T-bird and the Explorer, resulting in something better than either.
    What I didn't see until I had the thing on a stand in front of me, was the resemblance to the St Vincent model, with its neatly-proportioned waist.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021