1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: SBMM Sterling SB14: Which Pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Keep the worn black

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Torttttttt

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Simulated Rosewood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Brushed gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Brushed silver

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Other: Post it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Always have enjoyed the slimmer, cleaner look of a Sterling, plus the 3 way switch.

Scored a deal on this one that looked like it went through a war. Took me over a week to clean up the frets, fretboard, straighten the neck and setup the action. Ended up painting the pole pieces black due to the corrosion.

I am more of an alnico guy but was pleasantly surprised how well the ceramic works with a basswood body.. kind of enjoy better than the EBMM sterlings I have had in the past. The preamp is high quality too. Mine weighs under 9 lbs and plays great.

Picked up some new knobs as I don't prefer the chrome domes. They are black rubber jazz style made my Knobeez. I dig their knobs.

Was thinking of spicing it up with a new pickguard as black on black has never been my thing. Thoughts? I know tort and gold are standards and look classy, that rosewood is growing on me.

Looks like this, real pics coming soon

fe203494-2_dae-4846-899_f-_a04_b64_db7813-.

STGB_5714.

STGB_5740.

STGB_5713.

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    fa7tpt.
    xcnj9y.

krovx likes this.
  3. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Those look yummy. I wish WDMusic had more abalone options...they have a black one but those look great. Sadly, the SB14 has a different route for the top of the pickup. I tried making my own in the past by tracing and was not satisfied with the end result. Tried a sticker before too, with similar amateur results.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Wow, how did I miss that?

5. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Easy to do! Some of the SBMM's use different pickups and pickguards...kind of interesting.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Totes some votes?

20180911_140235.