1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - should be elated, but not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I placed an order for an Ibanez SR4XXV - turns out I ordered the SR1200 instead. Never mind, pretty much the same bass but with a different top. I'm ok with that.

When it arrived, I quickly noticed that it's either a demo or used bass - has some dings on it here and there, no hang tags or adjustment tools.

I contacted the shop, and they were very apologetic, I must give them credit. They said they can have it collected, no charge to myself, and they can order me a new one which would arrive in about 3 weeks.

Trouble is... I've fallen in love with the feel and the sound. It needs a couple of adjustments (pickups need to be lowered away from the strings as there are some annoying harmonic overtones) - but the thing that is bugging me is -

That there's one slightly raised fret (6th), when I slap in that position (and only when I slap, which I don't do much off), I get a bit of rattle, which is loud enough to be heard through the amp (that bit might change once I lower the pickups).

I don't know whether I can live with that, so thought about taking it to the shop for a fret level, but that's pricey (about £75 including set up).

Or I could wait 3 weeks for a new one (I hate waiting!), but haven't heard the best things about the QC of these Ibanez premium basses - a new one could turn out to be not as good as this one. And this one is very nice apart from the high fret, and the overtones that should be sorted by lowering the pickups.

Or... I could just live with the rattle for the tiny amount of slapping that I do. I don't play in a band at the moment so it's only me that will hear it.

What to do?

I realise this is totally a first world problem, but I'm (rightly, IMO) very fussy about what I spend my very hard earned $$ on!

Thanks for any advice

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Will the shop not:

1. Discount the bass since it has wear and obvious issues?
    2. Fix the issues?

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009

I can ask them if they can discount me enough to get a fret level

Regarding a fix - I bought it online and the shop is over 800 miles away. I can't imagine they'd collect and ship it back for free... but there's no harm in asking I guess.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Ahh...that makes sense. Best of luck. :)

5. I fail to see how a raised 6th fret would cause problem only when slapping. A raised 6th fret would cause buzzing when you fret any notes lower than that one. But yeah a discount to cover a setup/fret dress is a good idea, it would probably cost them at least 75 pounds to collect and ship the new one to you, right?

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    When I play finger style I use a very light touch - much more force required with string popping

7. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I'd see how much the shop is willing to knock off if you keep it. It may very well pay for the fretwork which TBH would probably make a bass you already like an even better player. I'd get the work done locally anyway if it were me.

When negotiating remember that they are saving two-way shipping on an exchange in addition to any condition discount so I'd push them a bit if they lowball you.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would play the odds that the new one would not have a raised fret. Why on Earth would you try to keep a bass with problems while you have a willing vendor on the hook to send you a NEW one? Do you honestly think you won't be able to bond with the new one? That seems silly to me.

9. If I were you I'd take up the shops offer of replacing the bass. If the QC isn't great with Ibanez basses, maybe you got a bad one. A raised fret seems like something that would have to have been noticed if they had given it a play and checked it over before it was shipped out.
    Maybe you could even get them to send you the bass you originally intended to order, could be a win win!

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Since the basses are so similar, send that bass back, get the brand new bass and commence to tweaking it to your specs.

11. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    +1 Get a new one!!

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    +2 Send it back and get a replacement. High frets and dings? I'm guessing you'd love the replacement even better if it didn't have those issues. And you could get the one you meant to in the first place.

13. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Yeah, you have to just be patient and get the new one. Don't settle for a demo model just because that's the one that they sent you. Besides, you didn't even get all the case candy that comes with those basses it sounds like.

14. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'll play the Devil's Advocate here. How much have you really "fallen in love" with the bass? Have you ever played any other basses of the same model, or do you have any way to do so now?

Nine times out of 10 I would say send it back, and I've certainly sent back products for much less significant defects. However, musical instruments are fickle things with tons of factors effecting their performance, so if you really have fallen for this bass then maybe it is special.

If you really do love the bass and it can be fixed with a fret level, then it may be worth looking into that option (especially if the seller will give you a discount). By ordering a new one you run the risk of getting one that lacks that special mojo. But if you simply dig the bass, then odds are reasonable that you'll dig the next one too.

15. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Keep the one you've got and try to get a credit on the price. You never know what kind of bass you'll get as a replacement.

Karma is a bitch!!

16. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    'tis serendipity, methinks.

17. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Ah man, so many good responses. First, an SR1200 is a Sweet bass !
    I am 50/50. I am torn between a new one (new SR1200 ?) or keeping your new love. Like the other guy said, basses are fickle & you may like this one better than the new one. So, in the end it's a gamble.

18. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Can you not lower the pickups yourself and see if the problem goes away? If it does your golden. If not contact the shop and explain it exactly how you have here and ask if they would be willing to refund the cost of a setup.

19. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm with the group that says keep it if you love it - all basses of the same model are not the same. However.... since it clearly is a used bass or demo I think you're selling yourself short asking for fret leveling money. I would ask the seller how much he would sell this used bass for. By asking him to name the amount you could come out ahead - either he offers more than what you thought or then you point out the things that need fixed and present the amount you were going to in the first place.

20. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    +1