NBD! Squier 70's Jazz bass V (FLAKE CONTENT)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassingeorge, Feb 8, 2021.

1. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    I bought this loaded bass body & neck a few months ago in the classifieds for a very good price, it had some dings and serious gouges on two of the edges, which I had to bondo. Had a LOT of fun with this one. And because of my love of G&L flake finishes I had to do a flake job...but it is a 70's model, so I payed a little homage to the famous Gaddy Lee bass from the era.

Finish is Krylon Glitter Blast in "starry night" with a gunmetal metallic base coat and 2k clear coat. It has it's flaws but easily hide with the flake.

Pups are stock, full cts pots. Brass nut because stock exploded. DR fat beam 45-130 strings. Still need to set it up.

Hope you like it!

20210207_235603.jpg

Along it's sibling "oshin"

20210207_235620.jpg

2. Great job ! I dig it.

bassingeorge likes this.
  3. bassingeorge

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    Thanks! Appreciate it. Can't wait to plug it in.

4. how do you like working with the krylon

bassingeorge likes this.
  5. bassingeorge

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    It was great, just what I needed. I've used the rustoleum glitter variant, and think the krylon is a biiit better, albeit smaller can.

1. Get a very decent base coat in a shade that matches the flake you want. I used gunmetal with a black flake. I could've used black as a basecoat.
    2. The glitter blast shoots a lot of flake, it gets EVERYWHERE.
    3. I shoot as much glitter as I can, this bass needed the whole can.
    4. It needs LOADS of clear coat. That's why I just took it to a auto body shop and had it sealed up. Took about 18oz. Of 2k.