NBD : Squier Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxime1980, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Hi!
    I was awfully curious about this one ever since i heard about The Cure using it since Faith (1981) and really liking the looks and sounds of it (esp. when used with pedals and played through a bass amp!).
    I played one earlier this year and I browsed casually back and forth and looked at prices and saw it last week brand new at a shop for 479.99$ CAD (instead of 599.99$ CAD !!) and went for it yesterday and am very glad i did ! :hyper:

I will change the strings and am very tempted to change the colour, but its a darn cool bass ! :laugh:
    20190918_222841.jpg 20190918_222848.jpg

(Sorry for the awful pictures... :roflmao:)

Monterey Bay-ss and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. RoccoCasagrande

RoccoCasagrande

Jul 7, 2010
    The first time I ever heard a bass VI - it was Glenn Campbell's beautiful solos on the songs "Wichita Lineman", and "Galveston".

After all these years, I finally bought a bass VI last year. It is a Squire VM Bass VI, and I am very happy with it. I had it professionally set up with La Bella flat wound strings, and I have a Staytrem Bridge. At first, I was discouraged because I was not proficient with a pick. But I am comfortable with the Bass VI now, and I use it all the time. To me, the low E string feels floppy, so I make a conscious effort to play with a light touch.

Bonne chance dans votre nouvelle aventure musicale!

Attached Files:

Maxime1980 likes this.
  3. I'm a bit tempted to get a Bass VI of some sort, but would be detuning that lowest-pitched string to D or even C in my case, and it's hard to imagine one of these holding tune or playing well like that, even with a heavier set of strings.

@Maxime1980 I'm not raining on your parade here, just to be clear. Merry New Bass Day to you! I bet it's fun. I hear these things are like sports cars: they might not work for many situations, but they excel in their niche. I might enjoy one even if it's not terribly de-tune-able.

4. fobiedgar

fobiedgar

Dec 4, 2008
    Dallas TX
    Squier changed the body wood from VM to CV from basswood to poplar, also finish is more glossy on the new one. I have the Fender PS Bass VI, the Squier VM Bass VI in Black and Olympic white colors, I love this Bass VI to play some interesting bass lines and also to play some The Cure covers on YT.
    Talking about Neck profile and radius I can tell Fender and Squier feels too different, even though they are mentioning same C shape and 9.5" radius but for me Squier VM Bass VI feels more comfortable with rounder shape than the Fender flat feel.