1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD T-45

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H2okie, Aug 12, 2019.

1. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    C730299C-1BC3-4D7F-A9B7-A729D03785C2. Finally found a T-45 in decent shape and jumped on it. Neck was not straight and pots were scratchy and stings were OLD. But neck straightened out nicely. Pots cleaned up. This is pretty nice clean shape. I’m anxious to check it out in mix.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    feel the Peavey love! and you lucked out in getting old strings to boot lol awesomeness

H2okie likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Those Peaveys had the high-mass bridge before that was a thing! (yah, I know the BA came 1st - but that Peavey bridge is massive!) Also the split-able bucker - :thumbsup:

H2okie likes this.
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Congrats! I really like the T45's sounds. Very versatile!

H2okie likes this.
  5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I hate when people say "living the dream"

They don't own a T-45. They aren't even close to living the dream.

B-Mac and H2okie like this.
  6. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I played one briefly back in the 80’s when I decided to buy the T-40 instead of the 45. But this is the 1st time I’ve picked one up since then. I like the simplicity of it, and so far just futzing around I think the tones it has are maybe more useable for me than the 40. But the 40 has an extremely diverse range of tones. 45 is different beast but not as bizarre with what it can do.

7. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Old nasty SS stings sort of made it better with the crazy inconsistent action! These things are horrid when set up poorly ... but awesome when you dial them back in! Sort of make u wonder who would buy a bass that feels that crappy when u pick it up? I always get nervous that they won’t straighten out. But so far I’ve been lucky with T series.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The T40 is certainly more "popular" than the 45, given the price jump they went through over the last several years. The T40 does have a pretty wide range of sounds, but many aren't super useful and many of the tones are just subtle tweaks off one another. The T45 is more of a P bass variant, which is why I feel it's just easier to use and more familiar to the ear. It's array of tones are fewer, but all are usable.

H2okie likes this.
  9. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    So far I agree with the more usable tone observation. I will have fun trying to compare. In the early 80’s when I bought my T-40 new ... the dealer had very few T-45s. And if I recall you could get a T-40 a few dollars cheaper than the 45. And clearly there were more pups and switches and stuff ... so it must be better right? I recall briefly picking one up, but I don’t think I even plugged it in. I kept comparing new pricey MIJ Jazzes that I couldn’t afford and a used gripper to the T-40.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Things change on these around ‘7’

There’s a pdf on TB explaining sort of similar to the settings on the T-40

I just can’t recall where it is

Either in the USA Peavey Club or the T-40 Club

or here:

PEAVEY T-45 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

H2okie likes this.
  11. B-Mac

I own an '82 T-40 and an '83 T-45. Great basses.
    Bravo to you finding a T-45 in great shape! :hyper:
    (I notice another T-40 on the wall along with what appears to be 2 more Peavey basses?!?!)

H2okie likes this.
  12. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I have a sickness. There's my original nat/rosewood. I have a burgundy/maple T-40, and white Patriot, a burst T-20 (minty), a white foundation 5, red foundation 5, a fury 4, a bunch of foundation 4's, a cirrus 5 ... Peavey Gas is a problem for me. What's worse is I've been buying T-40's for youth that are learning to play. They used to be $150 - $200 max. Now foundations or USA Fury's are filling that role for me. I'm a weak (not very good) bass player ... but I do get folks started and to the point they can do high school jazz bands or contemporary christian services ... then they can move on to a real teacher when they want to get good. I like USA Peaveys as a great starter bass in the sub-$200 price range ... kid or parent can get in and out of one for the cost of a set-up and strings. And if they take to it ... they have a bass that can take them as far as they want to go. I've had a few parents want to buy "new" ... the new Peaveys aren't too bad (they are shiny). I have one whose parents bought them a Sub-ray 4 ... that's pretty impressive for the money too. Looks exactly like a MM from 10 ft!

B-Mac and bigtone23 like this.
  13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Peavey GAS is a good problem to have! Not that it's crazy expensive now, but it was a cheap problem to have up until about 6-8 years ago. haha
    I have a 84 Foundation (with push/pull pot for series), 94 Forum Plus (with Wilde P46/J45 and custom wiring), 85 DynaBass (stock) and 87 Patriot (with added neck Super Ferrite to make it my "Ric"). I tweaked most of these to make them even more versatile.
    I wanted a black T45, but they were very rarely found and when they did surface, the asking prices were too high ($500-600 at the time). I then gave up on the search, routed out and converted my great playing, but dormant and beat up Ibanez RB630 into a T45. Got the proper pickup, string tree, metal P knobs and a Q filter. It turned out great, sounds amazing and only cost $125 for the pickup and Q filter as I had the other parts laying around. Instead of spin-a-split, I did a push/pull pot, really like that option a little better, as I get the full range of the tone control in single mode, too.

H2okie likes this.
  14. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes they do! ... thanks for the PDF. I haven't found a tone I don't like on the T-45. I did print out a cheat sheet for my T-40 to get close to the sounds I was looking for and play around. Honestly I found something I like on the T-40 and have kept everything but the volume the same for years. T-40 has some weirdness that starts at 8! But it's really good up there! This tone switch switches from hb to single at 7 ... I was surprised how much I like the single coil ... that was unexpectedly clean. Really anxious to see what works with our mix.

B-Mac likes this.
  15. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's awesome! for the Iby. One of my favorite basses was an unexpected experiment. I picked up a "cheap" USA fury that must have been new old stock. Minty new with case candy and not well set up at all. The electronics were unshielded and noisy. It took multiple neck set-up attempts to get the neck stable (unusual for a peavey). And I decided to experiment with P-style pickups. There are Bill Lawrence Pups shielded Pups in there now ... and it turns out it's now one of my absolute favorite basses. I spend more on the strings and pups than on the bass ... and it's amazing.

bigtone23 likes this.
  16. B-Mac

you can check into Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone. for comradery!

H2okie likes this.
  17. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's funny! I didn't know there was a name for what I have. BHPD ... I'm confused as to which phase I'm stuck in ... "You begin to store your basses in locations out of site of significant others" ... I would add to one of the phases that "you start buying basses the same color so significant other doesn't realize its a different white bass".

timplog and B-Mac like this.