1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Talman un-boxing (Robhe consolation buy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Playbyear, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    After the Robhe scam adventure, I had five refunds burning a hole in my pocket. I couldn't just leave well enough alone and not buy a new bass that I don't need.

I was surfing around and up pops this deal on a B-stock Ibanez Talman. Maple neck, mint green, with tort! How could I pass it up?

It arrived yesterday. I let it simmer down for a day, then tonight, I put on some gloves and un-boxed it.

It came very well packed, double boxed with foam pack.
    IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4037.JPG IMG_4038.JPG

PSPookie, CatchaCuda and nFinnyD like this.
  2. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Looks pretty good upon opening. No shipping damage. It even comes with "cord, wrench, tool" just like "Burning fire/Exquisite/Glarry "

IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4043.JPG

3. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Nice! Really like that color combo

4. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    The overall fit and finish is good. No sharp frets, the nut and bridge look nice. The neck is nice, flat and satin finish. The neck is a little beefier than I expected and measures about 1.625" at the nut. I'd say more of a D shape than C.
    I have to peel off the plastic and set it up.
    There is an issue with one of the pots... that's the blemish.

IMG_4044.JPG IMG_4045.JPG IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4047.JPG

CatchaCuda likes this.
  5. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Talmans are sweet, enjoy! Only thing I’d change on mine is some Ultralight tuners as it’s neck heavy from the short horn. It definitely doesn’t dive but it does try to go more horizontal if I take my left hand away.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If I were gigging regularly and had an excuse to buy another bass, it likely would be a Talman. Sharp bass, congrats. :)

7. cmcbass

cmcbass Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    Those Talmans look cool, and they sound great too! Fantastic instruments, especially for the price.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    How are you liking it?

I'm on the market post Robhe for a P style of some kind, and have always been a fan of the Ibanez Basses.

Talman is on my short list!

Playbyear likes this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Congrats! That Mint Green finish certainly looks better on Talman with maple fretboard than other Talman series with jatoba board.

Playbyear likes this.
  10. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    I tuned it yesterday and the set up was OK out of the box with low action, no buzzing. I don’t care much for the feel of the roundwound strings.
    The neck is more in the style of P chunky. If you like very thin jazz or peavy necks, you might not like this.

I played it for 30-40 minutes un-plugged. It’s resonant, loud and sounds good. It’s not that much smaller than a Fender, but feels more compact to play.
    Maybe today I’ll get around to putting a battery in and playing though an amp. (Or at least plug it in sans battery, it will function passively)

11. Interesting, I've never had a good look at the contour of the bridge pickups on those. That's neat. Those are attractive basses.

12. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I believe what you are seeing is the protective plastic on the pickup.

PWRL likes this.
  13. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Yes, all the plastic film is still on everything.

nFinnyD likes this.
  14. Oh, I see. It looked like some kind of hump on the pickup.

nFinnyD and Playbyear like this.