1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Times Two!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    So yesterday I was finally able to do a trade deal with a guy here in town for an Ibanez SRX2EX2 bass plus an Ashdown combo amp. I traded a treadmill for both of them. I know the Ibby isn't an expensive bass but it's a very nice bass for the money! This one's in almost new condition with one tiny mark on the black binding.

whiteibby01_zpseac7313f.

whiteibby02_zpsd525e5e3.

On the way over to pick up the Ibby and amp I stopped to check out an OLP MM copy another seller had on Craigslist. Turns out this guy is also a TB member! So I bought this bass from him as a project. It needs some TLC but it plays great! I figured for $80 I couldn't go wrong! I may end up giving this one to my son to use as he just started playing bass in a band. The OLP has been upgraded with a preamp that apparently was made by TB member Unclefluffy!

olp01_zpsc433dcf0.

olp02_zps933084ee.

2. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    Looks like a couple of nice scores. Enjoy.

3. that silver foil/tape for shielding connections? should probably re do that with running a wire from the inside :eek:

4. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, that's going to go. Getting ready to totally disassemble the bass and clean it up. Depending on what it looks like when I get the stickers off the back it may end up getting a refinish job.

5. How much does an average refin job cost there in the states?

6. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Depends on who does it. I think they are around $200-$300 depending on the type of finish. If I do a refin, I will do it myself with ReRanch products.

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    $80? Is that cheap for that bass? Sure seems like it! Can you give any more information on that bass?

8. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I really don't know much about the OLP basses other than they are a poor man's Stingray. I have heard they are hit and miss. This one seems to be a great player. The neck is very nice and the action is great. It's a little rough in the body department so I'm going to give it some TLC and see what I can do with it. I thought $80 was a fair deal. I have seen them for $125 to $150 in pawn shops, but they are usually in a little better shape.