1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD1 2014 Gibson SG Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peavson, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    After getting my 1972 SB 350 I fell in love with SG basses. I was waiting to see how much Zzounds would discount the new SG Specials -- especially the Chocolate ones. Turned out it was to under $6 bills, with case! Got mine today.

Blems: The pickup cover was loose and buzzing, the vinyl on the case has a tiny tear and there's a tiny ding on the body I can't even photograph it's so small. Otherwise it's perfect!

While my SB 350 makes a lovely, woody tone when I EQ my amps just so, the SG Special has a pretty wide range of tones. Surprisingly, it can almost do the "mudbucker" Felix and Jack thing. But it does like to growl, oh yea!

2014-06-28 04.11.08. 2014-06-28 04.11.42. 2014-06-28 04.12.29. 2014-06-28 04.11.24.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Tbone76 and Nobody like this.
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congrats on the new bass. I opted for the Standard and love it as well. Your pics aren't showing. Maybe check your links.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    OP linked images from another forum. They won't show up unless you are logged into the other forum.

4. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    Sorry, was trying for an easy solution. I hope they come through OK now; I uploaded them again from my computer.

Thanks christle, the Standard is beautiful, and I also like the stripped down earthiness of the Special. I have an SGJ guitar and this finish is very similar.

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Pics look great! Both basses look nice. I could see myself getting a Special as a back up at some point. I put LaBella DTF 760FL on my Standard and wow! Great sounding, easy playing basses. Not sure why I avoided Gibson all these years :)

6. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    Oh, but I uploaded the blurrier ones. I'll call them artsy shots, illustrating the tensions inherent in choosing controversial instruments in a "P and J" world.

"I could see myself getting a Special as a back up at some point."

Yes, it would be perfect for that! Especially if you can get a relatively inexpensive used or blem one. I like my "basic" Gibsons, in part because I worry about them a bit less than my fancy ones. A little ding during practice? Meh.

"Not sure why I avoided Gibson all these years"

If I didn't have Gibson guitars (and physical issues that have me seeking lighter instruments) I probably would have as well. It's amazing how fun and comfortable the SG style basses are, and how rich the tone they produce is.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Interesting. That is my driver as well,new physical issues driving me to lighter instruments.

8. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    The downside: physical issues. The upside: We get to play SG basses!

9. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've really been loving one of these at my local music store. Play it every couple of weeks. Great buy!

10. lasalle69

lasalle69 "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride"-H.S.T.

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    She is a beauty, congrats! I picked up one last year from zz's, no issues but the bridge. Swapped it out for a hipshot 3-point direct replacement. Now it sounds great. Happy playing-I have 4 short scales, and I do love em'.

11. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks, lassalle69! I tried the two-point hipshot on my '72, then went back to the original. I've developed a strange affection for the bridge, even though it is a crap design. What did you gain by replacing the 3-point? Was it all about ease of setup, or were there some tonal improvements?

12. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Nice bass dude, congrats. How bad is the neck dive?

13. Peavson

Peavson

Jun 18, 2014
    Neck dive is moderate, meaning with a thin nylon strap it's there but not dramatic. With a thicker, suede strap it would be a non issue.

Interestingly, my '72 --which has an alder body and a maple neck -- is perfectly balanced.

14. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Hey- Ease up setup at first. Out of the box I tried like heck to track down a buzz. Not the pups, string ht. Or neck, and then I noticed the dreaded end of string thread not reaching over the saddles, plus one bolt was really loose and lifting up. I went with the hipshot after researching the issues. New one went in okay(with a dab of super glue). She is holding and sounding great-No lift and I think better sustain. Too bad babicz doesn't make some kind of 3 point- I have one on my fender P and the babicz sustain is unbef--king leivable!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  15. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    SWEET! Congrats on a awesome new bass!!!!!

16. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Congrats. Just got this Lavaburst SG and I love it--no mods planned (why is everyone so scared of neck dive?).

17. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Great point atomicdog-short scales in general should not dive especially with a wide comfy strap. I once had an epi t-bird that dove like mad, on the upside you could also chop wood with it

18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I have an SG Standard and it is a great bass. I only have one long scale everything else is short scale. Congrats on that new SG Special!

19. jeffcarano

jeffcarano

Feb 23, 2012
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Co-founder, Babicz Guitars and Full Contact Hardware
    Babicz will be introducing the new 3 point at Summer Namm in Nashville in mid-July

Attached Files:

20. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Cooool! Now that will rock an SG.