1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NDID! Radial JDI content

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NicJimBass, May 6, 2010.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    So, I took shipment of a used, but in perfect condition, Radial JDI. For years, I've either used whatever DI a venue had (rare) or simply used the DI on my head (normally GK heads). I've been fine, and never worried too much about it.

Lately, my band has been using IEM's, and over time, I've found I prefer a straight signal from my bass and effects to be what I hear in my ears and I prefer to be able to EQ my amp to the room. I use a GK MB2-500 and found out by accident that the Gain pot conrols the output going to the DI. I usually throw the amp in it's bag every night, and alot of times the Gain gets moved. With how we have everything set up, it's a hassle to dial in the exact volume level night after night, even if I think it's close by sight.

I finally broke down and bought the Radial from a fellow TB'r. Used it for the first time last night, and I am a very happy camper. Everything I've read about this DI is true- very flat frequency response, very uncolored, so that what I hear in my ears is only my bass and effects (Line 6 M9). The venue last night is very sensitive of being loud due to other people in the immediate vicinity, so my choice was to either put my amp behind a petition or go ampless. I chose the latter, and was just fine. Everything was clear and sounded great in my ears. The Radial is built like a tank and will definitely be able to take a ton of abuse. I have another gig tonight, where I'll probably use my amp, and another Saturday, so I should be able to give some more real-world input after that.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great sounding, uncolored, hefty DI, the Radial is definitely worth looking into.

2. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    After a couple more gigs, I am loving this thing! It's weird to say that about something as minimal as a DI, but it has made things easier for me, as I no longer have to do anything to get the correct level, and the sound in my ears is nice and clear. I'm still very happy with this purchase!

3. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    they sure make great stuff.
    If you ever decide to upgrade, go for the JDV.. but the JDI is an amazing piece.

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I went on the reccomendation that the JDI works well with active basses, the JDV works well with passive. I'm sure they're interchangeable, but it's nice to not have to power the JDI in any way.

5. Great DI if you have an active bass and don't have to worry about pickup loading, etc. Accurate, simple, built like a tank. Enjoy! IMO, the best DI out there for active instruments when you just want as pure a signal to the board as you can get.