Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Necessities for beginner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pbassmanplease, Jul 17, 2004.

1. pbassmanplease

pbassmanplease

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    wat are the neccesary pedals for a beginner...just the neccesities that everyone should have...beginner or advanced...mostly beginner though

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    In my opinion, there aren't any pedals that everyone should have.

It all depends on what sound you are looking for, and what you like. Some people have huge, complex pedalboards, while others have no pedals at all.

It's all up to you to decide which you prefer. :)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, maybe a tuner :)
    Apart from that, I agree with you.

Most common pedals people use are chorus and distortion/overdrive.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Good point. ;)

I must have forgotten that tuners could come in pedal form.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Really depends on taste. 99% of the time I don't use any effects or pedals at all aside from my SansAmp unit (which I don't really consider an "effect" as it is essentially a preamp for me.)

6. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Just curious.. Is chorus on bass usually noticable in a band?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes. More so in slower tunes I'd say, but fast stuff too. The producer on our last album put some mild chorus on a fast picked rock song we did, and it did make it stand out in the mix more.

8. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    ditto. I used to only think of chorus on slow tunes or slap stuff, but I had a producer add chorus to a driving pick line on a cd I recorded a year or so ago and it thickened things up. I use it more now. Funny I never really thought of it before as Peter Hook has played chorus heavy pick riffs for years... and I always liked new order and joy division. I should start paying attention. :rollno:

...back on topic, chorus and distortion. Maybe compression if you slap alot. I'd start with a tuner, learn to play and then start adding the effects your ears are hearing.

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You don't need any pedals, period.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Pedals? isnt that all that crap my guitarist had to spend $250 on a board to stick em too?

hehe, you dont need any pedals, however a cool envelope filter is a nice toy, as well as a looping pedal or digital delay.

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Tuner pedal is a good start, like the TU 2. Other than that, it could take years and thousands of dollars to finally settle on a certain "sound". My personal fav. is a compressor :)