1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck adjustment needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, May 12, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I recently acquired a '96 USA Jazz Deluxe 5'er strung with roundwounds. I'm more of a flatwould guy and am trying a set of D'Addario Chromes. Not thrilled with them yet.

However, since putting them on, I've noticed some downward curve in the neck that wasn't there when I acquired the bass and also that the action is subsequently higher. Maybe because the tension on the flats isn't the same as the roundwounds?

I'm adjustment-challenged and don't care to take on a neck adjustment, unless it's a relatively simple fix. OTOH, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of paying $50-60 for a set up, but will if I have to as I really enjoy playing the deluxe jazz.

I prefer a real low action. Can anyone give me some advice on whether the neck is OK like that and perhaps the bridge simply needs adjustment. OR, perhaps all I need is a 1/4 turn of the truss in one or the other direction? OR, perhaps I need both a truss and bridge adjustment (getting out of my comfort zone here). Any advice appreciated.

2. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    A 1/4 turn of the truss and an hour's worth of bridge adjustment and I'm happier.