Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck adjustment needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, May 12, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I recently acquired a '96 USA Jazz Deluxe 5'er strung with roundwounds. I'm more of a flatwould guy and am trying a set of D'Addario Chromes. Not thrilled with them yet.

However, since putting them on, I've noticed some downward curve in the neck that wasn't there when I acquired the bass and also that the action is subsequently higher. Maybe because the tension on the flats isn't the same as the roundwounds?

I'm adjustment-challenged and don't care to take on a neck adjustment, unless it's a relatively simple fix. OTOH, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of paying $50-60 for a set up, but will if I have to as I really enjoy playing the deluxe jazz.

I prefer a real low action. Can anyone give me some advice on whether the neck is OK like that and perhaps the bridge simply needs adjustment. OR, perhaps all I need is a 1/4 turn of the truss in one or the other direction? OR, perhaps I need both a truss and bridge adjustment (getting out of my comfort zone here). Any advice appreciated.

2. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    A 1/4 turn of the truss and an hour's worth of bridge adjustment and I'm happier.