1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck fitment issues

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Apr 26, 2009.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Some of you might have seen my latest project thread about a body I've been working on. Here's my question:

When it comes to fitting a neck to the body, and it's not an exact fit, is it better to fit the body to the neck or the neck to the body? To me it seems like widening the neck pocket would be the easier way, but you might end up with a bit of the neck sitting over the edge of the body on the backside.

This is a budget project, so I'm not really too concerned with keeping either thing perfectly intact. It's an SX neck so we're not talking high resale value. I'm just curious as to whether I should widen the neck pocket some or shave down the side of the neck where it sits in the pocket a little bit. I'm not talking a whole lot, 1/8" at the very most as this fitment is counting no finish and the neck would likely have at least some clear sprayed on it. I could widen the pocket and then use epoxy or something to widen the body a little where there might be overhang since the body is not finished yet either.

The biggest problem I see with widening the neck pocket is that the strings might not sit centered on the fretboard. This would be an extreme case and the amount we're talking I doubt would be visible though.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

2. The normal neck pocket width is 2 1/2" (Fender) my suggestion would be to modify either the neck or the body to get it 2 1/2" This way you can change it in the future if you want. I am guessing that the neck is too wide.