Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck thinning

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by contrabajisimo, Feb 3, 2005.

1. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    what is one to do when the neck has some spots that are thinning out? it's kind of uncomofrtable to feel that particular spot closer to thumb position -- it doesn't bother me much, but I don't know what to do with it. should I ask a luthier to "level out" the neck or just leave it as it is? maybe some sort of finish would stop this?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The neck or the fingerboard?

3. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    the neck, just before you go into thumb position, right in the middle of the curve.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So, there is a little worn spot in the curve of your neck? If it bothers you, a luthier could lightly remove some of the surrounding wood and make it less noticeable... have you taken it to someone to have it looked at?

5. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    thanks for the reply nicklloyd, that's the thing -- I don't know if I should have it looked at, can it become a serious matter down the road, say, getting deaper etc? I'm also thinking of changing my rosewood fingerboard to ebony, so I was thinking that if the neck will be leveled out it can perhaps be substituted with a fatter fingerboard to maintain the original thickness. any ideas/suggestions?

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, I'm still not entirely sure of what the problem is... it is difficult to imagine with the posts you have made. I suggest you get your bass into the hands of someone you trust, and have them >>look<< at it. Or, if you can, post a couple of photos on this thread.