1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need 200S Chassis photos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg_M, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    If anyone has their 200S amp apart I would really like to get some photos of the wiring of the chassis.
    Some nice closeups so I can figure out component placement.

Thanks

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've got one shot that's fairly central, from the best I can tell mine is an early '67. I'll have it opened-up again soon to swap out the 2-prong power cable. Shoot me a PM, you should also search the Sunn discussion page Q & A.
    img0810l.jpg

3. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Outstanding !

That's really great
    Thanks

:hyper:

4. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Thought I would bump this up

5. Why? Although a picture paints a thousand words the schematic tells all.

6. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Layout!
    Got the schematics

7. AHA Watson, I do believe someone is trying to clone a Sunn amp! :)

If Holmes is right good luck with the project. :)

8. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Exactly....

Placement of critical components makes for less hum and other bad things.
    Why re-invent the wheel?

The only problem so far is the biggest chassis I can find is 17 x 10 x 2 (Hammond). And of course the front of it does not have the angle.

So mine will just be a little smaller and a little different.

The above picture pretty much shows everything except for there seems to be one tube missing.

9. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Not sure what you are pointing at?

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    That link totally didn't work... sorry :bag:

BUT, they sell a hammond chassis box which is 17x10x3... and its HUGE.

11. The chassis is always the problem for the home builder. I decided to ape Fender because I came across some empty head cases and combo cases on Ebay. I went to a local metal fabricator and had them make me up some 16 gauge steel chassis' to fit them. Finished and enamelled cost me under $100 per. It was only then that I found out they could have cut all my holes for me at no extra cost. I guess I'll have to go the long route with my collection of chassis punches.

There was a guy called Comboking who would make you what you needed out of aluminium with welded seams. His son had a run in with cancer and he stopped production for a while. Perhaps he has started up again. He did make me a small chassis to fit a Fender Champ box I found. It was a really good job. Control panels, I found Amplates who will or would do you professional front and rear plates. I've not used them yet, Hopefully they are still in business.

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Amplates is still in business i believe.

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I know a guy in the UK who can make up chassis if you provide a cardboard mock up, or other means of accurately conveying the dimensions. PM for details.

14. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Actually I don't think I want to try to make a perfect copy. It seems almost blasphemous. :meh: Except that I want it to be the same electrical circuit.

In ancient times, I did use Dynaco Mk IIIs, which the 200S is a direct copy of. And as we all know the early 200S amps just had the stock Mk III bolted right in there with a slightly modified Dynaco PAM-1 preamp.

I guess I'm saying....

Workalike....Yes.
    Lookalike...Maybe not

Although If I could find an old chassis/head that was gutted, I might just repopulate it with modern parts.

15. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    bump

16. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
  17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Greg,

I had my 200S apart today and took some photos... Here's a full chassis shot, and I have other close-ups if you want 'em...

200S_Ch_Full.jpg

-robert

18. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Thank you!

A close up of the LEFT side of the picture where the power transformer is would be great.

Thank you Jhtjon for those links

19. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Bump

Always looking for more photos. Specially the AC end of the chassis