Need a better audio interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sturg, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Sturg

Sturg

Nov 29, 2013
    pittsburgh
    Been using the Peavey USB-P Audio interface to get sound from my laptop to my QSC-K12's, but am looking to upgrade. Tired of the printer cable output connector on the Peavey and am looking for something with a more secure connection.
    Also, is there anything that prevents speaker pops when the computer reboots, turns off, or the when I close the lid?

2. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Computer Home Screen loaded, turn on speaker.

Turn off speaker, shut down computer.

3. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    get an interface that works with your fastest bus. USB 3.x (USB-C) or Thunderbolt. If it's for Windows, make sure it has ASIO driver support.

cassanova likes this.
  4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a Focusrite now. I preferred my old Presonus Firepod’s mic pres (cleaner gain) and will go back to Presonus when my Win7/Firewire system becomes unsupported and fully obsolete.

ThingsAbove likes this.
  5. beatmachine pro

beatmachine pro Inactive

Jun 13, 2021
    ive got a 2 channel stienberg its soild at a decent price

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    USB-B connector is standard for USB-2
    USB-C is no more of a sturdy connection.

There aren't many affordable audio interfaces with XLR outputs.
    You can keep the peavey for output and add another interface for input and headphone usage.

7. My focusrite scarlet doesn't pop and has both low and high impedance inputs.

A couple of the FOH places I play at use a Reddi (not USB) and it really works well with some of my weaker passive instruments. I'd love to invest in one for home use to put into my USB input but I really don't do much home recording anymore.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  8. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    but there're tons with TRS and TRS to XLR adapters are widespread and don't cost much.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How many channels are you wanting? What are you looking to spend?

10. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Unless you want better audio or you're just plain bored of it, I don't think those are really "valid" reasons to change an audio interface. The pops can be prevented by turning off the speakers and the "printer cable" USB seems much sturdier to me than modern equivalents. Unless you go PCI-e, you're still going to connect the new one to a USB port on the PC.

I still use a century old Tascam US122L (printer cable and all) and it's still going strong. It's still older USB protocol but I haven't found it lacking in anything I want to do because of that.

11. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Universal Audio Apollo interfaces are excellent! The Focusrite Scarlet and Clarett interface are also solid.

One Way and cassanova like this.