Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a solo piece

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by -Sam-, Feb 25, 2006.

1. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    G'day i know there are a lot of these threads but i searched and didnt really come up with anything. also not sure if this is the best place for an answer. but anyway...
    i'm doing my final examinations for school and i need to perform six peices, ive got five i just need a really melodic one that can show of my phrasing.
    what im playing already is
    Classical Thump
    Portrait of Tracy
    Iberian Ash- a flamenco style piece by australian Steve Hunter
    So What- Miles
    A Little Concerto-Gordon Jacobs
    The last two are double bass works.
    So what i'm looking for is a nice melodic piece to show of phrasing that isnt really close to these other pieces, ie not slap and not really harmonics.
    thanks for any help you can offer:meh:
    i play four string only both fretted and fretless
    thanks again

2. Hmmm, here is a good one I think.

Jonas Hellborg's version of Miles Davis, Blue in Green.

It has some great cord inversions for bass voicing, trouble is you would have to record the chord piece then play the melody and solo over it. If they let you bring in a recording it may be what you are looking for. It's slow and melodic that sounds awesome on fretless.

If you are interested I have the chord arraignment written out from an old Guitar Player magazine. I don't have a scanner, but I probably could photograph it. PM me with your email if you are interested.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    If you like metal, you could always play Pulling Teeth from metallicas first album.

It is very melodic but it is just really distorted. If you dont like distortion you could always do a "clean" version of it :bassist:

4. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Spanish Phases for Strings and Bass comes to my mind if you would be willing to play another DB piece. Or maybe your own take on Continuum, with an improvisational feel, but similar to the main idea of the song.

5. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks guys, yeah it a bit of a tricky one. Chunk-o that sounds cool and a great idea i'll PM when i work out how,
    Donut man, despite loving everything i hate metal and cant stand the sound of a distorted bass or guitar so nah i dont think i'll tackle Pulling Teeth
    Skewh, Spanish Phrases sounds cool but i really wont an electric piece and because of PoT i cant really do another Jaco which is a bummer.
    thanks for suggestions guys and please everyone keep them coming.

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    My bad, was already given

7. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    okay this is a bit of a bump cos i still got a problem.
    i got the music of Blue was Green from Chunk-o-Funk but i realised i cant do it cos i'm playing So What so any other ideas anyone? please?:help: :help:

8. If it allows, get a delay pedal and pull a "Slang" kind of solo piece.

Moonlight Sonata would be an awesome piece, check out Marcus Miller's version on his website.

9. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks guys. no money=no delay. lack of skill+no transcription=no george smed. but i'll check out marcus. is there a transcription for moonlight? keep the ideas coming guys
    thanks

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  12. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    They're Sweet mike!! i'l deffinatly check them out.
    the only other suggestion I've had outside of Talkbass is to do a melodic beatles tun, probaly Yesterday. any thoughts?

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a solo arrangment of Yesterday as well

14. I know the no cash feeling all to well. :crying:
    As for the Moonlight piece, pick up tab for the original, and improv around and make it your own.:bassist:

15. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I've played Blackbird by the Beatles on my 6 string. It's a fun song. It would also sound nice on just a 5 string tenor.