Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xring, Oct 12, 2003.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Tomorrow I will be ordering a cab or cabs from Avatar. I was planning on the B212Delta and the B210. Do you think I could get by with just the B410 if I am using a 5 string, or will the combo be much better? The rig will be powered by an Ampeg B4R. I don't necessarily "need" extreme volume, but I want the capability - along with a clear undistorted B. If anyone has a similiar set up, please let let me know what you think. Thanks, Randy

2. It depends... do you want to haul around one large heavy cabinet or two smaller medium weight cabinets?

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Not much difference. 410= 85lbs, 212= 75lbs., + 50 for the 210. r

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The 2x12D + 2x10 will have better low end than the 4x10 with the 5 string.

You will lose a little bit of efficiency, but I would consider it a good trade off.

[Make sure the combined impedence can be safely handled by the amp (I would assume you would want two 8ohm cabs to give your amp a 4ohm resultant load -- I'm not familiar with the min. recommended impedence for that amp -- if you're not sure check with the owner's manual or the manufacturer).]

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The published specs for the B410 show that it rolls off pretty high for 5 string use. I've never actually played through a B410 to know how it sounds to me...

There are a number of folks here that have used both B410s and the B212/B210 for 5 string. If you look around, you'll find a number of threads...