1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need another head and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I just recently got a GK400RB and BL410 cab so I could comepete with my gui****s 60 watt tube combo. Well, I guess he just had to show me up and he bought a 150 wattPeavey tube stack. I just can't keep up. I need a head and another cab so I can be heard a little bit. I was thinking a GK 1001RBII and another BL410 or maybe a 115. Opinions?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    [OT]
    This isnt' what you asked but it needs to be said: Your band should focus on what sounds good for the band not who can play the loudest (and blow your hearing out). Spending cash on unneeded equipment is kinda of a waste of time and money, IMO. Anyways, back to the thread.
    [/OT]

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I know that, it has been said here 1500000 times. It isn't like I'm running 2 810s, that really isn't a big rig.......

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Grizzly700.

1) Please consider staying with matching cabs to avoid phasing problems (a slightly smeared bass sound) caused by mixing dissimilar speaker & cab sizes in full-range bass amps.

2) Get a head which has as much power as you can afford in order to help avoid speaker-killing power amp clipping.

3) Please listen carefully to your speakers when you are playing LOUD. If they start to complain, ease up on your volume.

There's no point in paying for the same speakers twice.

EDIT: Please mind your hearing!

Common sense + good hearing protection rules! :)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Instead of another "backline" cab, dump the one you have and upgrade to a more efficient 4 ohm cab, even another GK line. Part of your problem is the backline 410. +1 for avoiding "volume wars" within the band. Waste of time.