Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Compressor that will squash

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by camerondye, Feb 6, 2004.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am playing in a jazz trio and am looking for a quiet compressor that will squash and give that percussive kinda sound....any help out there.
    Cameron

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Tech 21 Bass Compactor has a lot of SQUASH to it. I use it with my Acoustic bass and it works wonders.

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I noticed the my musicman stingray bass distorted a little bit on the compactor or else I would buy that one again immediately. by the way, I am using an electric bass trying to get more of a percussive acoustic"ish" sound.
    Cam

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Looking for a pedal or rack?

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I would prefer a pedal myself, but would consider a less expensive rack
    cam

6. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I have the trace smx dual compressor and it sounds great for what i used it for (recording). unfortunately i don't compress my live rig so it really sits on the shelf. Good compressor pedal though.

7. has anyone tried that new aphex compressor petal? i just saw it in BP magazine and maybe that could be what camerondye is lookin for?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been itching to try one of these, and I hate most compressors. It's gotta be good!

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Retrospec Squeezebox will squash in a big way. Tough to find, would probably go for $300-$400, since they haven't been made for a while. It's a tube optocompressor based on the old LA2A, but in a built-like-a-tank pedal format. It can clamp down hard, yielding a kick-drum like sound, and also imparts a great timbre of its own... helps to blend in with a group. Not one of the transparent compressors, this one has serious, but very musical, coloration.

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have one of those that I am willing to sell. PM me if interested.