1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Need effects help on "One of These Days"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RodneyMac, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have an audition coming up for House of Floyd tribute band, and one of the songs is "One of These Days" off of 'Meddle'....the delay setting is confusing, and so is how Waters is picking the notes. There's also a tremolo effect in the break of the song...can any Pink Floyd fans help me out??

Thank you.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Subbed. Was it really Roger, though? ;)

RodneyMac likes this.
  3. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    A 300ms delay with 5 or 6 repeats will do the trick, you just follow the delay to play along with it. The first repeat (±) is the last note of the trias in 6/8. Start by stroking only 1-2-3-4 and when you get used to it, stroke also the las note of the triad. Time youe tremolo to the delay for the middle part.

Count it like this:
    1 - ± 2 - ± 3 - ± 4 - ± (ans so one)

Alternatively, you couls also play the live at pompei version which uses only tremolo.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, delay is absolutely necessary to pull this off. Jebberz may be right about 300 ms, but you can set it by using the first bass note on the original recording where it sounds like Roger is testing it. 5 or 6 echoes sounds about right. The first echo should be coming in on the last 3rd of every triplet, then you only play the B note on the beat and let the echo do the rest. This video has some good shots of Guy Pratt playing it to give you an idea:

5. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Is this from delicate sound of thunder?

RodneyMac likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes. Would have shown the live clip with Roger playing it, but the only one I've seen focuses on Nick Mason the whole time.

RodneyMac and zapped777 like this.
  7. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    This song has perplexed me for decades. After watching this video I dug out my joyo delay(my good delay is at the practice shed,,,) within minutes I had it! I was trying to play too many notes!(Triplets) When I seen the guy just playing the quarter notes I was like....YES!!!I seen them play this song, on this tour many moons ago and remember the bass sound on this song(and throughout the whole concert ) very inspirational to me. A "big" show and the bass was not buried, but very prominent. Thank you JimmyM, and thanks fellow talkbassers!!! This one is a blast!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    RodneyMac, Nev375 and JimmyM like this.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    *snooty butler voice* I believe Mr. Pratt would prefer if you capitalized his first name, sir.

;)

MonetBass and RodneyMac like this.
  9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Guy Pratt is a boss drool I love watching him jump around as he throws down on bass, he did a great job for the Delicate Sound and Pulse tours. :hyper::bassist:

Grimbly and RodneyMac like this.
  10. .....probably not. I'm finding that most of the intricate basslines were indeed written by Gilmour.

11. Nailed it! ....and I got the tremolo in the solo section right on the money. Fun! Thank you.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Now all you need is a drummer who won't rush and screw up all your delay and tremolo settings :D

RodneyMac and zapped777 like this.
  13. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Move to Colorado

Nev375 and JimmyM like this.
  14. :roflmao:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

15. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Bet PF used a click track live in their iem’s to prevent that.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I know Larry Mullen tends to just follow the Edge in U2 cause 90% of their songs are based around his guitar delay.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a drummer who can follow a delay provided they can hear you.

17. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    He also played some great bass on the Toy Matinee record.

Bassically, Michael

MonetBass likes this.
  18. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    The bridge I’m pretty sure is not bass guitar at all but a synth.

There’s choppy trem but that’s also driving an envelope filter.

It also sounds like a sawtooth wave but it’s a little hard to tell underneath the other effects.

I messed around for a sec just now and got pretty close with fuzz > trem > envelope

Frunobulax and zapped777 like this.
  19. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    Tremolo+delay.

20. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017

+1 Tremolo and Delay

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021