1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing a 6er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Ok guys so my grandma is here visiting and my mom told me she wants to buy me something and asked her to suggest something but she didn't know what and asked me. So I told her I really want a six string bass.

Now, I don't know how much my grandma is willing to pay or if she'll even buy a bass for me but assuming she does, I want something under $500 since I don't want her to have to spend a fortune.

I really would love to have a fretless 6er, but I can't seem to find one that cheap. I know deans are good, and I've heard some good stuff about the peavy grind 6. I'm going for a natural wood finish (NO PAINT!) so the peavy would be good.

I've been searching ebay lately, god forbid I know, but figured why not. Any comments on this bass - http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-6-stri...itar?hash=item1c0c577f82&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ? The only thing about it tough, is it doesn't say what the scale length is. I absolutely refuse to play a 6 string 34". It has to be 35" or higher.

I also found this one which I trust more than the previous one, http://cgi.ebay.com/Brice-HXB-406-N...itar?hash=item5ad3718991&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And finally, this fretted cort curbow - http://cgi.ebay.com/Cort-Curbow-6-S...itar?hash=item1c0cc3a9e0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 My only concern with this one however, is under color it says "imitation burled walnut". So does that mean that it's not actual burled walnut nut and some kind of printed on thing?

Thanks so much in advance! Please reply soon.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Cort is indeed a faux wood finish. You'd be paying a hell of a lot more if it was a real burl walnut top.

And why no 34"- are your arms really long? Just checking if you've fallen into the false "34" isn't enough tension for a good B" trap :)

3. in that price range, check out the ESP LTD 6ers. They are pretty nice for the money. a friend of mine has the B-206, it's pretty nice. it has an ash body, spalted maple top, natural finish, 35" scale, and is in your range. It's fretted, but you could always de-fret it. ;)

I've been thinking about getting one of these myself actually. I dunno how much I'd actually use a 6, but I've always wanted one to fiddle with. The B-206 is pretty cheap, decent quality for the money, and would be easy to upgrade if need be. That's why I'm considering it.

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Peavey grind 6? They said some nice things about it in the bass player magazine cheap 6'er shoot out. 35 scale too. I'm thinking of getting one personally, but it seems like the revised series is only for sale in US..

5. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    I guess I did fall in the trap, but that's all I've heard that you don't have good enough tension on the low B with shorter scale basses. I dunno. But I'm a fan Carl Thompson basses and I know alot of his are longer scales so out of fanaticism I would go for longer scale. 8)

As for my arms... I don't know. lol

I'll have to check out those ESPs. Thanks!

I got to play a peavy grind 4 the other day at a music shop in moro bay and fell in love with it. So I think I'd be happy with the 6 string version if I get it. I was really surprised at how nice a bass it was for the price!

Any comment's on the sleez-bay basses?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Think of it this way- nearly all of the recorded basslines you've heard with a low B- either 5-string or 6-string- were recorded with a 34" bass. A small amount were recorded with 35" basses. Almost none outside of the tracks Anthony Jackson were recorded on a 36" scale.

7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    +1 for the peaveys. Arent grandmas the best? I honestly dont know what id do without my grandma

8. Ill Sell You Mine :) its a hohner b bass 6 All Maple and natrual wood finish
    not fretless thouhg ..... sorry haha

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Not sure about which six string, but I think the right answer here is to tell grandma you're trying to get together some money towards a new bass purchase and if she wants to buy you something, maybe she could contribute to the new bass fund instead.

That way, she's not suddenly feeling obligated to spend $500 when she was thinking $50. It also leaves the door open for her to spend $500 if she chooses.

10. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Ok, ok, I give. lol However, is there any truth that longer scale may make a difference for the better?

Send me a pm and I'll take a look at it. thanks!

Right now I'm really leaning towards the peavey. It was my choice a few months back but I didn't have the money for it then. For the money, it's absolutely perfect for me. I love the look of the woods, it's neck-thru, 35" scale, ;) lol, and the frets are open to adding my own inlays. (maybe. :bassist:)

I was going to order it from musiciansfriend.com but they don;t sell it anymore. Any suggestions as to where I should get it from incase I decide on the peavey?

11. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    id say ibanez sr506, easy to find and a solid bass