Need Help (Notation)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Area51, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I've been playing bass for a few months, I joined the Jazz Band at school, the teacher gave me tab for a while but now hes not becuase he wants me to learn notation, Bass guitar is the first instrument ive played, im familar with the staff and stuff i just need a way to remember what fret I have to put my finger on. When I look at some of the stuff I have to play it just looks alien, can someone please help me.
  2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    probably the way to start is to grab yourself a bunch of sheet music that doesn't go above C on the G string, and really nail where the notes are below the 1st 5 frets... obviously there is more than one place on the fretboard to play most notes, but the majority of 'normal' bass charts can be played down in this position... the only things you have to decide are things like 'do i play this D as an open string or the A string fretted'

the Jamerson stuff in the 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown' book is very good for this, as it's nearly all played down there... with an occasional scoot up to D & it's octave up there on the G string 7th fret (JJ probably played this way partly because of his upright bass background)

very shortly you'll be grabbing for the right notes automatically & can start to think about the other stuff like phrasing.. but for starters, nail those notes down there in that position.. they're the meat & potatoes of the job :)