NEED HELP NOW!!! Ampeg V4BH 600$??? Excellent condition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PocketTrio, Aug 4, 2009.

1. PocketTrio

PocketTrio

Feb 28, 2009
    SHOULD I GET IT?

The seller is going to be in town on August 8th. I've tried the amp before and I love it. Still I need to know if 600$ is a good price or a rip off.

It's been kept in very good condition. 4 new JJ 6l6 power tubes biased and matched. No ripped tolex or grill cloth. Sounds amazing and looks amazing.

Yes, No, or rip off?

Thanks

2. I don't watch this specific model too hard but $600 seems like not a great deal.

3. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Dude, save your money for an early 70's V4B or V4. I've had the V4BH, and now I have a V4. The old ones are just louder, and the enclosure is built out of plywood instead of particle board. Definately wait and buy a vintage model, they're just a lot more awesome if you ask me.

4. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    500 and your in buisnness

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    600 is a fair price for a V4BH. I sold mine for that earlier this year, to a very happy buyer. The older ones do seem to be louder, and the tone is "different". Not better, not worse, just different. Personally, I liked the V4Bh better, but that's me.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Having recently A/B'd both, I'd personally hold out for a V4B.
    -However- if you're truly happy with the V4BH, then sure, go for it. I think $600 is on the high side, even for a good condition one. I'd start around $500. There's been some sold locally in the $400 range, so I'm basing this off of what I've seen happen locally.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    $600 is a fair price, not the best deal in town, but you can probably work with it. V4BH will be a great amp, but as said above I'd take an original over the reissue. It's like choosing between an original SVT or an SVT-CL. The newer one is going to have more modern features (like a built in DI, and I believe user bias controls like the CL), but it certainly isn't the same.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    While I don't want to tread down this path... you'd be suprised how similar a 1969 SVT and a 2007 SVT would sound. Yes, I own both. Yes, I run both through the same cab. In a band setting, I cannot pick out the difference. In the home / solo / practice, MAYBE. In the studio, I probably could. But it's really scarry, actually, how similar they are...

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Those are nice heads. It's worth $600..but I'd see if he would take $500!

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had an SVT-CL and my V4 and felt they were worlds apart. From what I hear the SVT and SVT-VR are pretty similar, but they didn't make a VR version of the V4BH so I stand by my claim. :D

11. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I think that is a fair price. I own both a new svt classic and a vintage v4b. Sound is a subjective thing and if you like the sound of it that is all that matters. I really dont think the old v4b is any screaming hell like others would lead you to beleive. I like the sound of the new svt classic preamp better and i believe it is the same one that is in the new v4bh. As far as volume goes i doubt the old one is louder. Mine craps out in the low end very easily and that is with all new tubes and set up well. If you like it go for it and forget about all the vintage hype.

12. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I normally gig with one of my two V4BH amps (I also own a SVT II Pro). I paid $675 for one (new) and $500 (used) for the other one.
    I like the newer ones better than the old ones too. $600 is not a steal, but it is a fair price.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    SVTs and V4s, yes. I was talking vintage SVT and new SVT in my post. I would rather a vintage V4B over the new V4BHs...

14. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    $600 is a fair price if head is in very good condition.
    $550 is better?
    I have a V4BH, they are great heads.

15. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I here what everyone saying, but the fact is, they just don't make 'em like they used to!!

16. Slats

Slats

Apr 25, 2004
    I have a V4BH bought in '04. I think $600 might be right ....the thing is condition and........NEGOTIATION of price! Can't beat the sound, but always work the price.

17. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    You did say he just retubed it. So adding that to the price makes the $600 reasonable.

18. Can't say much on the price- other than try a hundred less- always worth a try!!!
    BUT I CAN add my views on the Amp. GREAT "little" amp!! Sure it aint super loud, but thru a decently loud cab (I use it thru a NV610) it virtually does all the gigs I need. LOVE the was U can 'sit it'
    in the "sweet spot" too!!
    JUST on the point of overdriving the pwr amp when U did in, clean when U play softly!! Lovely. Great amps in my Opinion.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021