1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED HELP ON AMPEG V-4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SNOTROCKET56, Jan 10, 2012.

1. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    I just recently acquired a big ol ampeg 2x15 from the 70s, its a v-4b - my question is how do i know what kind of amp to use - i dont think my gk 400rbIV will handle it

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it would handle it easily. Those old cabs from the 70's sound great, but they don't handle a lot of power. I'd guess the V4B cab to be about 150-175w power handling or thereabouts, unless the speakers have been replaced with either the higher power handling JBL or Altec speakers of the day or new speakers that handle a lot more power.

3. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    gk400rbIV is 280 @ 4ohms.

4. I would do what JimmyM said. But save the original drivers just in case you decide to sell the cab (becuz they're rare) to a collector who wants the cab in original form. IMO

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thx for the actual specs, Darius. Didn't actually recommend him to replace the speakers, though. Actually, knowing it'll handle 240w legit, I think the 400RB would be fine for it, although it would look a little weird without a V4b on top of it ;)

6. * Yeah I know, not sure if the grill cloth is removable, since it's a folded horn design, grilless might look OK with a GK head. eh

Heres a link to alot of the manuals and brochures for the Ampeg v4
    http://www.ampegv4.com/manual.php

7. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    That's good power for that cab, will be just fine.