1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help on making a decision on amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NewClearFuture, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ok, i have been playing guitar for 8 years and i just started playing bass about a year ago because my bass player quit my band. i have no idea what i'm looking for or anything. i have been looking at the hartke lh500, acoustic bh200, and gallien krueger blackline 600. i don't even know what to do about cabinets.

it would be rad if some one could send me in the right direction.

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Welcome to TB and the dark side. :)

I am going to suggest a few things that will help the membership help you.

Fill out your profile. Especially current gear and interests.

What kind of music is the band playing?
    Are you gigging yet? If not, is that a goal?
    If so, what size venues do you frequent?
    Does your band have PA support?

WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

3. ehh we play hardcore/thrash kind of stuff. we've been playing shows for about 5 years. we play anything to all age venues to house shows to whole in the wall bars and yes we have a PA.

my budget is around $1000 for the whole rig (i know it's not much)

4. I like the Acoustic because I own a lot of the new stuff already.

I went B-450, added a B-115 and then the B-410. That gives me 6-10s and a big 1-15 and three piezzo horns (1 per cab)

Believe me I can bury a guitarist when he's running with 1000 watts.

So let's see - the B-450 is @ $500.00. The B-115 is about $200.00. The B410 is about $300.00.

That's your $1 K right there. You will have created a Specter-ish Bass Wall O' Sound.

And since GC & MF is selling them as a house brand - there's not much trouble getting warranty repairs at any of their stores all over the place.

5. I play in a hardcore band, and my Peavey Tour 700 with an Avatar 2X12 works great. Enough power, plenty of lows, and great tone.

I'm thinking about getting another 2X12, but a 4X10 would do the job nicely.

You could get this rig for 1K, possibly lower, as the Tour 700's sell for fairly cheap now.

Also, the Hartke LH500/1000 heads are great for the money.

6. Yea I say go Acoustic. You can buy the bh200 head and b115 together for 400 on GC or MF online. And then buy a B410 for 300. Which leaves you with 300 extra to spend on FUN stuff

7. so out of the three amps i've been looking at (acoustic bh200, galien krueger, and hartke lh500) what would be the best one for the sludgy distorted sound, but can get the warm highs of an ampeg?