1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help on neck refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MattS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    So I've been working on mutating a bass for several months now. Part of the process is that I converted it to fretless and epoxied the fretboard. After epoxying the fretboard, I painted the headstock, and refinished the neck with Deft lacquer spray and taped off the fingerboard trying to cover the rosewood edge as much as possible. I'm very happy with the refinish, but I'm thinking it could/should be better as apparently the lacquer didn't completely cover the rosewood edge. Everything is very smooth and buffed/polished it all.

[​IMG]

Should I bother fixing this to protect that wood? I'm kinda hesitant to tape and spray again because this feels and looks great otherwise.
    Could I touch up those edges by rubbing on some Minwax finishing wax? like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...51&relatedSearch=minwax polish#specifications as I have some left over from a previous project. Or would anything "polyurethane" not go well with lacquer?

OR am I just thinking too much about it and should just leave it?

I'm debating this as I'm waiting for the body clear coat to cure.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Matt

2. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    Hi,

I don't know if this will help but if I were you I would sand down the fretboard sides to bare wood and use linseed oil to finish.

I've posted another thread on here about using linseed oil as a finish - it's worth a look if you want to go down this road.

Here's my frankenstrat neck - no varnish or epoxy, just lots of coats of boiled linseed oil and a fair bit of buffing in-between.
    DSCF0177. .